Looking back on an exciting year for connoisseurs of indie music

TV on the radio
    TV on the radio

Even if you’re not a scrawny kid in tight jeans, you can still enjoy indie rock. This stereotype is totally exaggerated because you can now find so-called indie rock varying greatly in styles and legions of fans. We’ve selected five records to represent a cross section of some of the great music you may not have heard this past year.

Cold War Kids – Robbers & Cowards

Downtown Records

This Los Angeles band has recently exploded onto the scene, going from unknown status to releasing a buzzworthy debut album. The genius of The Velvet Underground and the soul of Fiona Apple are blended beautifully on Robbers & Cowards. Subtle Christian themes are found throughout the disc, but that shouldn’t hold anyone back from enjoying this great record. Cold War Kids’ live show is a treat as well – Tucson played host to three performances by the band this past year.

The Decemberists – The Crane Wife

Capitol Records

Pirates, whales and folk tales are not the usual subject matter for most rock bands, but this Oregon quintet has made them its trademark. The Crane Wife feels at home in the headphones of the band’s stereotypically bookish fans despite the addition of some classic-rock style (think Led Zeppelin and Fleetwood Mac). Fans of fellow Northwesterners Death Cab for Cutie are almost guaranteed to enjoy the intellectual indie pop of The Decemberists.

Destroyer – Destroyer’s Rubies

Merge Records

This one might just be the best record of the year. Dan Bejar’s newest album is full of sprawling, self-referential lyrics layered over lush and complicated pop songs. As a member of The New Pornographers, he has helped craft some of the catchiest indie rock of the past few years, but as Destroyer, Bejar creates a sound entirely of his own. Not much can be said to describe Bejar’s creativity with musical arrangement and vocal delivery, so it is best to experience his lo-fi mastery with your own ears.

Neko Case – Fox Confessor Brings The Flood

ANTI- Records

While she’s not what one would generally call indie rock, Neko Case deserves a mention for creating one of the best albums of 2006. There is an indie rock connection, however: Case is also a member of The New Pornographers (with Dan Bejar of Destroyer). Fox Confessor Brings The Flood is decidedly country, but don’t expect to hear the glitz and glamour of Dolly Parton. Case is passionate about her art and freedom of expression and these feelings translate directly into her music. Fans of Lucinda Williams are likely to fall in love with Case’s smooth voice.

TV on the Radio – Return to Cookie Mountain

Interscope Records

After releasing their newest record to critical acclaim, touring with Nine Inch Nails and recording with Massive Attack, TV on the Radio has made it clear that they are one of today’s best bands. These experimental Brooklyn musicians create genre-defying songs borrowing from hip-hop, electronica and rock. Not convinced? David Bowie is a big fan of the band and even lent his vocals to Return to Cookie Mountain.