Republicans hope for comeback as numbers come in

Republican candidates were hopeful as the results creeped in, showing close races at the state level.

Jesse Kelly, the Republican candidate running for U.S. Representative for Congressional District 8, assured the audience he’s “”never lost an election,”” as voters waited for election results. The Republican Election Party was held Tuesday night at the Double Tree Hotel in Tucson.

“”The news is there’s no news right now,”” Kelly said. The ballots are slowly creeping in. “”We’re down about four, we were down six, then we’re down five, then we’re down four-and-a-half, now we’re down four — and less than half of them have been returned yet, so it looks like it’s going to be tight like we thought it was!””

“”Two years ago when Obama was nominated … who would’ve thought we would have a night like this tonight,”” said Rep. Vick Williams of legislative district 26. The GOP won the majority in the House of Representatives, while Democrats seemed to be taking the lead in occupying the Senate seats.

Ken Smalley, who is in the running for legislative district 28 in the House of Representatives, said that he believes the Republican Party has a really good chance. Smalley said his  opponent seemed to be only ahead of him by one or two points, which was a great feat in itself.

Jon Justice, of local radio station 104.1 “”The Truth””, introduced Ruth McClung, candidate for Congressional District 7. “”So far it’s neck-and-neck. That says volumes. It’s an unbelievable start.””

McClung reiterated that the race was close.

“”As we’re watching the results come in, we really are neck-and-neck… I’ll admit I’m very nervous,”” McClung said.

“”We are too!”” someone shouted from the audience.

“”We’re all in this biting our nails together,”” said McClung.

Frank Antenoir, candidate for Arizona state Senate, said “”I want everybody to savor the moment. You all deserve to enjoy the victory of a hard won battle. It’s only part of the war… We’ve got to get this state back on some financial ground, we’ve got to get our country back on some financial ground.””