UA student designs Crown Wood Eyewear sunglasses, manages business

Briana+Sanchez+%2F++Arizona+Daily+Wildcat%0A%0AJunior+Adam+Goeglein%2C+founder+and+president+of+Crown+Wood+Eyewear%2C+displays+various+wooden+frames+inlcuding+the+companys+slogans+Crown+the+King+and+Every+King+has+a+Crown.++
Briana Sanchez
Briana Sanchez / Arizona Daily Wildcat Junior Adam Goeglein, founder and president of Crown Wood Eyewear, displays various wooden frames inlcuding the company’s slogans “Crown the King” and “Every King has a Crown”.

A UA student plans to flip the sunglass industry upside down with his self-made company.

Managing his business, Crown Wood Eyewear, and an 18 unit class schedule, Adam Goeglein, a communications junior, keeps track of his life with two iPhones and an hourly planner.

Originally from Los Angeles, Goeglein transferred to the UA in the fall of 2012 in hopes of receiving his bachelor’s degree and jumpstarting his business. Goeglein’s entrepreneurial goals began in high school where he began selling knock-off and street vendor sunglasses. He said after he began to understand the sunglass industry, he founded his business idea.

“Once I realized Ray-Bans were really not that special and they were just pretty much the same as any other glasses for like three times the price, I thought it was ridiculous and decided to do something about it,” Goeglein said.

Since Goeglein was 16, he has worked full-time, saving all of his earnings for his business idea. Now 21 years old, he has invested the past six months, his savings and his life, entirely to Crownwood Eyewear.

“I was tired of buying designer knockoffs and I couldn’t afford Ray-Bans,” Goeglein said. “I created Crown Wood Eyewear to bridge that gap so everyone can afford high quality sunglasses also.”

Goeglein fully designs and constructs the sunglasses. Spending hours researching, Goeglein focused on materials for sunglasses, sunglass price ranges, and mediums online that would help him create his product. With the brand slogan “Every King has a Crown,” the sunglasses come in a variety of styles, made of either acetate or bamboo.

“I have the bamboo and acetate imported from China and I have that sent back to China to mold companies that make the glasses. That is the most expensive part,” Goeglein said.

Goeglein runs his business almost entirely alone. The manufacturers and material he receives are solely through overseas companies and online mediums that help him make these connections.

“I got all these ideas and information pretty much all by figuring it out by myself,” he said.

Goeglein’s roommate and fraternity big brother Shervin Imankhan, a communications senior, has helped him with advertising and promotion for Crownwood Eyewear through social media.

“I saw how dedicated and serious Adam was about this company and I wanted to help him with whatever I could,” Imankhan said.

Besides Imankhan, Goeglein says the only other person that has truly helped him with his company is his dad, Patrick Goeglein, a real estate agent in Los Angeles. He said his father first exposed him to business concepts when he was a child and has helped guide and encourage his son in his entrepreneurial goals. However, he emphasized that his son has run the business entirely on his own.

Goeglein stressed the importance of staying positive throughout the process.

“Keep a positive attitude,” Goeglein said. “A positive attitude and determination will get you anywhere you want.”