Police Beat: Jan. 24

Two birds with one call

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to a call about a potential fight at a fraternity house north of campus around 1:05 a.m. on Jan. 17.

On the way to the house, the officer was notified that there was no longer a fight.

As the officer drove north on Highland Avenue, he observed two males walking south.

The officer turned his vehicle around, stopped the pair and asked if they knew anything about the fight.

The two men answered that they were at a friend’s house and didn’t hear anything about a fight.

The officer noticed that the two smelled strongly of alcohol and asked the men if either of them had been drinking.

“”Honestly, I have,”” said one of the men.

The two men were identified as UA students under the age of 21.

The two students admitted to drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon and Keystone at a friend’s but did not know who supplied the beer.

The officer cited both for minor in possession and released them.

No Dean of Students referral was completed because the incident occurred on a city sidewalk.

The officer then drove past a house with several cars in front  and on both sides of the street around it.

As the officer passed behind the house, he observed eight college-aged men and women standing outside a back door.

When the officer stopped his vehicle, all of the people returned quickly into the house.

McKale bomb threat, false alarm

An anonymous caller reported a bomb at McKale Center on Jan. 12.

At 11:46 p.m Tucson Fire Department received a call from a 911-only phone with the message, “”Bomb at McKale, hurry, hurry.””

The Tucson Fire Department could not find a call-back number because of the limitations of the phone.

A UAPD officer responded to McKale Center and initiated a fire alarm to evacuate anyone left in the building. The officer did not notice any civilians in the area.

Several other UAPD officers were called in and established a perimeter around the arena.

UAPD officers checked the exterior and interior of the building.

No suspicious packages or signs of criminal activity were found.

Bad case of late-night munchies

A vending machine located in the basement of Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall was broken into on Jan. 12.

A UAPD officer was dispatched to the residence hall at 6:42 a.m., where a UA Residence Life employee showed the officer the damage.

The glass of the vending machine was shattered and there were Flaming Hot Cheetos scattered on the ground amongst the glass.

The officer contacted Tomdra Vending Co. and informed them of the damage.

He also took inventory of the contents of the machine and stored them.

Although there is a security camera where the vending machines are located, there are no suspects at this time.