In case of a costume conundrum

A word of advice for everyone experiencing Halloween as a college student for the first time: The old white sheet with the two holes cut out for eyes just doesn’t cut it anymore. People really get into it. Kanella and Steve Conklin, owners of Kanella’s, 338 N. Fourth Avenue, a store that carries vintage and new costume clothing as well as packaged costume sets has a solid variety for the young. The merchandise is a bit pricey, but for those who are DIY-challenged, Kanella’s can dress you into character from head to toe.

The skull motif is making a comeback, and Johnny Depp swooned us all in “”Pirates of the Caribbean”” and its sequel, so why would anyone not want to be a pirate? Or at least dress like one for Halloween.

This three-piece “”pirate wench”” costume worn by pre-education freshman Alisa Willner is a vampy way to dress the part. The costume, sold for $59.95, includes a polyester off-the-shoulder halter dress, an eye patch and a gold dagger.

Although she has pretty much all she needs to find a buried treasure, Willner has other plans in mind for the Halloween holiday.

“”I’m probably going to be at one of the frat parties,”” Willner said.

It’s doubtful that Johnny Gruelle, the creator of Raggedy Ann, ever thought his carrot-top doll would be a sex symbol, but somebody else must have.

Undeclared freshman Lauren Capin is wearing one of the cutest costume sets that Kanella’s has to offer, which includes a bonnet, a dress with a built-in petticoat and striped stockings, all for $64.95.

Capin will be celebrating the holiday up in Phoenix while visiting her twin sister at ASU.

If she can get her hands on a curly red wig and paint some freckles on her cheeks, a picturesque Raggedy Ann she will be.

Owner Steve Conklin displays an option for customers hoping to create an entire look at Kanella’s costume rental.

Everything that Conklin has on for his ’80s-style rocker outfit – think Motley Crue meets “”Weird Al”” – can be rented from the store for $40 a day.

Between the leather jacket, leopard print shirt and suck-it-all-in pants, it might not exactly be what Steve wears when he’s onstage playing in his regular band, The Rowdies, but it would be sure to steal some laughs while out on the Halloween party circuit.