Pie of the Week: Chocolate Pecan

If last week’s apple pie didn’t get you fired up to bake, you should give this chocolate-tinged Thanksgiving classic a try. This chocolate pecan pie is simple, rich and sure to please a crowd. We’ll start out with the same dough used in our apple pie and move on to a pecan and chocolate filling with a local twist.

Piecrust is simple to make with a little care. This recipe will make one 9-inch piecrust. The key is making sure that your butter and water are very cold.

Mix together your flour, salt and sugar in a bowl. Next, add in your chopped-up butter and use your fingers to starts to mix it into your dry ingredients. Mush it all together until it is about the consistency of dry oatmeal. It should be crumbly. Begin to add in your water a little bit at a time until you’ve created pie dough that’s totally pulled together, but not wet or sticky. Be careful not to overwork your dough. Once it has come together, form it into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Put in into the refrigerator for at least an hour.

For this pie, you’ll bake your crust first. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees while you roll out your piecrust. Be sure your surface and pin are well floured. Roll the disk out until it is a few inches larger than your pie tin and to about a quarter of an inch in thickness. Once you’ve transferred your dough into the pan poke some holes in the bottom — six or so — to allow steam to escape.

Mix together the butter, eggs, sugar, bourbon or vanilla, and corn syrup. Stir until combined. Add your chocolate and pecans and stir again. Pour into your piecrust, placed on a cookie sheet to catch any spill over. Bake for 10 minutes. Lower your temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove and allow to cool. Serve room temperature and add some ice cream if you’re really feeling crazy.

This pie is a simple twist on the classic. If you’re worried about piecrust, you can purchase premade uncooked piecrust and substitute.

Arizona pecans can be purchased at any Tucson farmers market, Whole Foods or this weekend’s pecan festival in Sahuarita. If you’re crazy for pecans you’ll go nuts for this festival. The second annual Sahuartia Pecan Festival will be next weekend. Events include a bake off and parade. It runs from 9 a.m. to the late afternoon. For more information and directions go to their website at sahuaritapecanfestival.com.