Police Beat

Man found with mushrooms, marijuana
    A man was taken to Pima County Jail on two counts of drug possession after almost hitting a man repairing his bicycle Oct. 24 at 2:15 a.m.

Two men were involved in a verbal altercation on East 2nd Street and North 1st Avenue after a man in a vehicle almost hit another who was fixing his bicycle tire in the roadway.

Police ran a records check on both men. The man driving the car had an active warrant for his arrest from the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office with statewide extradition. The warrant was confirmed and the man was arrested. Police searched the man and found a plastic sandwich bag containing dried mushrooms in his left cargo pant pocket. Police also found a glass container containing marijuana in the man’s backpack.

The man admitted that the mushrooms and marijuana belonged to him and he used them for “”hallucinogenic experiences.”” He told officers he obtained the drugs from acquaintances he did not wish to reveal.

The man was taken to Pima County Jail where the Coconino Sheriff’s Office advised University of Arizona Police Department dispatch that the warrant would be extradited only within 200 miles of Coconino County. The man was booked on charges of possession of marijuana and possession of a dangerous drug.

Man given MIP after running into traffic sign
    A 17-year-old student was diverted to the Dean of Student’s Office for being a minor in possession of alcohol Oct. 24 at 1:44 a.m.

Police initiated a welfare check on a student on South Park Avenue and East 4th Street after he was seen weaving across the sidewalk. Reports also said that the man bumped into the wall across from the Kaibab-Huachuca dorm a number of times and hit a traffic control sign, almost falling to the ground.

Police made contact with the man, who smelled strongly of intoxicants. He had extremely slurred speech, bloodshot, watery eyes, and swayed while talking to officers.

When asked how old he was, the man said “”17.”” Police then asked the man if he had been drinking that evening. He said, “”Yeah, I had a few beers. I was at Kappa Alpha and there was a table with a bunch of beers on it for anyone to drink.””

The man was diverted to the Dean of Student’s Office and walked back to his dorm.

Police issue DUI for man sleeping intoxicated in car
    A man was cited for DUI and possession of drug paraphernalia Oct. 26 at 12:20 a.m.

An officer who was conducting a security check in a lot on Cherry Street observed a car in the lot with its lights on and engine running. The officer approached the vehicle and observed a man in the driver’s seat, apparently asleep. The officer knocked on the window of the vehicle and attempted to wake the man up, but was unsuccessful. Tucson Fire Department responded to the call to open the door. When the door was opened, the officer reached inside the vehicle, turned off the engine and removed the keys from the ignition. The officer identified the man through his driver’s license. TFD evaluated the man and determined that he needed no further treatment. While being evaluated by TFD, the man was disoriented and confused.

When the officer spoke to the man, he noticed a smell of intoxicants coming from the man. He had extremely slurred speech and bloodshot, watery eyes. The man swayed while talking to the officer and asked, “”Can I sit down because I’m blasted?”” The man then fell backwards into the driver’s seat of the vehicle.

The officer asked the man to conduct a field sobriety test. The man refused, saying, “”I’m too jacked up and I’ll fail.””

The man was arrested on charges of DUI-Slightest Degree. During a search of the man, the officer found a smoking pipe. The bowl of the pipe smelled like burned marijuana. The officer asked the man if the pipe belonged to him and he said, “”No, that’s my buddy’s.””

The man was then taken to the UAPD, where he agreed to a breath test. Two were taken. The first gave a blood alcohol content .007 and the second, a .000 BAC. The officer asked for a urine sample to test for drugs. The man agreed to provide one but asked what it was for. When the officer told him, he said, “”Oh, you’re going to find drugs in my system because I used some tonight.””

The man was cited for DUI-Slightest Degree and drug paraphernalia.