Marysville man shot in IHOP dispute

Marysville man was listed in critical condition in Rideout Memorial Hospital on Sunday after being shot in the chest during an altercation at the IHOP restaurant in Yuba City.

Obadiah Mitchell, 34, was shot during an argument that started inside the restaurant and ended in the parking lot at the 1310 Franklin Road establishment, according to Yuba Citypolice spokeswoman Shawna Pavey. Police were called to the scene at about 5 a.m.

IHOP management would not comment or provide additional information about the incident.

Jessie Pena, 44, of Fresno, who was visiting friends in the area, is accused of shooting Mitchell. Pena was arrested without incident and booked into the Sutter County Jail on a charge of attempted murder.

A court hearing has been scheduled for Tuesday.

Witnesses told police that Mitchell was talking loudly and using foul language in the restaurant and that Pena asked him to quiet down because families were present. Pavey said there were several patrons in the restaurant at the time.

The altercation escalated and Pena went to the parking lot and retrived a gun from his vehicle, police said.

Pena then suggested Mitchell follow him back to the parking lot.

“”There were more words, and we believe Mr. Pena shot Mr. Mitchell in the chest,”” Pavey said.

Mitchell was taken to Rideout Memorial Hospital in Marysville where he underwent surgery.