Arizona softball goes to Arkansas for the Razorback Invitational

Nathanial Stenchever

Arizona softball player Devyn Netz celebrates after hitting a double in a game against the University of Kansas during the Candrea Classic on Feb. 10 in Mike Candrea Field at Rita Hillenbrand Memorial Stadium. The Wildcats beat Kansas 15-2.

The Arizona softball team traveled to Fayetteville, Arkansas, to play in the Razorback Invitational. There were only two other teams in the tournament: the No. 8 University of Arkansas and Drake University. The Wildcats played doubleheaders on back-to-back days on Thursday, Feb. 23, and Friday, Feb. 24, and they only had one game on Saturday, Feb. 25.

Feb. 23: No. 19 Arizona vs. No. 8 Arkansas at 2 p.m.

The Arizona softball team’s first game was Thursday, Feb. 23, in Fayetteville, Arkansas, against No. 8-ranked Arkansas. The Wildcats would start Devyn Netz as pitcher against Arkansas’ Chenise Delce.

The Razorbacks would strike first, scoring two in the bottom of the second inning. The Wildcats were quiet until the top of the seventh inning when they tied it with 2 runs of their own after Netz hit her second career home run.

Unfortunately, the Razorbacks scored one more run in the bottom of the seventh, beating the Wildcats 3-2.

Feb. 23: No. 19 Arizona vs. No. 8 Arkansas at 4:30 p.m.

Later that day, the Wildcats again took on the Razorbacks for their second game in the Razorback Invitational. Arizona sent Sydney Somerndike out as the starting pitcher for the second game, and she faced off against Arkansas’ Robyn Herron.

Once again, the Razorbacks would strike first by scoring two in the bottom of the third. The Wildcats would get things going earlier this time though as Netz hit another home run, scoring three in the top of the fourth inning. The Cats tacked onto their lead from there, scoring another run later in the fourth on an error by Arkansas, and then finally one more in the top of the sixth.

Arizona would claim their first win in the tournament 5-2 over Arkansas and Somerndike gained her second win of the season.

Feb. 24: No. 19 Arizona vs. Drake at 10 a.m.

On the second day of the Razorback Invitational, the Wildcats played another doubleheader. The first game of the day was against Drake University. Arizona started Ali Blanchard at the mound, who faced Drake’s Mackenzie Hupke.

The Wildcats wasted no time, starting their scoring with 5 runs in the bottom of the first inning. They came from a 3-run home run from Netz and a 2-run homer from Olivia DiNardo. Arizona added to their lead in the bottom of the third, scoring four more. Drake was only able to score 1 run in the top of the second and then two in the top of the fifth.

Blanchard got her third win of the season and she remains the only Arizona pitcher still undefeated. The Wildcats won over Drake 9-3 with six hits and no errors in the game.

Feb. 24: No. 19 Arizona vs. No. 8 Arkansas at 3 p.m.

The second game in the Wildcats’ doubleheader was their third matchup against the Arkansas Razorbacks. Netz took the starting pitcher role for this game as she faced Arkansas’ Delce once again.

The Wildcats took the early lead in the top of the second after Carlie Scupin hit a home run to center field. Arkansas, however, answered in the bottom of the second with a run of their own. The Razorbacks established their lead in the bottom of the sixth when their designated hitter Rylin Hedgecock hit a home run to right field.

The Wildcats suffered their second loss in the tournament, falling to the Razorbacks 2-1.

Feb. 25: No. 19 Arizona vs. Drake at 9:30 a.m.

On the last day of the tournament, Arizona only played one game against Drake. The Wildcats started Netz on the mound to face Emma Richards.

The Cats came out swinging again, scoring 6 runs in the first inning, four of those runs came off a grand slam from Sophia Carroll. They continued their barrage, scoring another in the second and two more after a Netz home run in the fourth.

The Wildcats beat Drake 9-1 on 10 hits and no errors. Netz also extended her personal record to 5-4 on the season with the win.

The Wildcats left the Razorback Invitational with a record of 3-2, bringing them to 10-5 on the season. As of Feb. 28, Arizona ranked No.16 in the country by  the NFCA after week four.

Their next game will be Wednesday, March 1, in Tucson, at Mike Candrea Field at Rita Hillenbrand Memorial Stadium. Arizona will then host the Hillenbrand Invitational from March 3 to March 5 at Hillenbrand Stadium. Arizona’s first Pac-12 game will be in Tempe, on Friday, March 10, against ASU.

Follow Nathanial Stenchever on Twitter