Controversial abortion display stirs students

Five-foot-high pictures of aborted fetuses posted on the UA Mall sparked debates among passers-by all day Monday and yesterday. The exhibit was put together by Justice for All, a nonprofit organization that is providing an opportunity for students to voice their opinion by visiting campuses nationwide, said spokesperson Rebeccah Pedrick.

Graphic images of aborted fetuses were on exhibit on the UA Mall yesterday, and will continue today as part of a four-day photo exhibit designed to encourage discussion about abortion.

The Justice For All exhibit features 15 panels, each about 18 feet tall, that provide statistics and images of aborted fetuses at different stages and information regarding consequences associated with abortions.

“”We are here to encourage dialogue and to help people think more clearly about what they believe,”” said Rebeccah Pedrick, spokeswoman for Justice For All.

Along with the images, there were also two “”free speech boards”” that allowed students a chance to voice their opinions and post replies to other students’ questions and comments.

The comments ranged from some defending a woman’s right to choose, to others by people who wanted the exhibit taken down, to others that thanked the presenters of the exhibit.

“”This exhibit is pretty good and it’s beneficial for people to know about. I hope when people see this it touches them,”” said Steven Gould, a microbiology sophomore.

Renee Jorgenson, an art sophomore, stopped by to view the exhibit and was not impressed with how the group presented their ideas.

“”It’s sad that they have to use images to talk about this issue, but the conversations that we have about abortion are better than yelling slogans at each other,”” she said.

Informational material on the signs likened abortion to genocide and slavery.

“”I just think it’s stupid how they compare abortion to the Holocaust,”” said Brad Fox, a material sciences engineering sophomore.

However, members of the Justice For All group view the exhibit as the only way for discussion to occur about a sensitive issue.

“”We live in a visual culture and the pictures are the only way to reach a visual culture,”” Pedrick said. “”But I also struggle with them because they are hard to see and also true about what happens.””

Rising as a temporary landmark on the Mall, the tower of images could be seen from as far east as Cherry Avenue.

Gould said he thought the size of the display was appropriate.

“”It is an eye-opening presentation of abortion and it needs to be taken in,”” he said.

Signs declaring “”warning: graphic images ahead,”” were placed just 50 feet away from the towering exhibit to let passerby know what they were in for if they kept walking.

“”It is awkward placement because it’s right outside of the union where people are eating,”” Jorgenson said.

The exhibit fell on a day when the Arizona Court of Appeals ruled in favor of allowing pregnant prison inmates requesting an abortion to have the procedure paid for by the county.

Previously, Maricopa Correctional Health Services had a policy that restricted women who were pregnant and in prison from electing to have an abortion.

The Arizona Supreme Court said the policy served no purpose and ruled that the county should stop enforcing the policy.