Football players adjust to new full time schedule

Tyler Baker
Cody Ippolito assists in tackling the California offense at Arizona Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 20, 2014.

It’s that time of year again as students flood campus, get out of summer mode and back into the academic mindset. For some students, though, there are more than just academics.

The UA football team is gearing up for the start of the semester as well. Academic advisors are helping guide the football players when transitioning from summer to the beginning of school.

“Our transition is always great; we always have help doing it,” said senior linebacker Cody Ippolito.

Summer practices have come to an end with the season right around the corner. Now that school has begun, the football team has to set aside practice time to put down the football and pick up a pencil.

Although that transition can go smoothly, some players may need a little extra help in classes. Tutoring is available for all the athletes so they do not fall behind and can keep up their grades.

Ippolito said that time management is the best thing for doing well in school and playing football.

“You can’t play football without passing your classes,” Ippolito said. “[Classes] always come first.”

Balancing education with football can be difficult, but to make sure the players are always on the field, they receive help from their advisers.

“You have to just know what you need to do,” Ippolito said. “Just do your work.”

Laying out what needs to be done throughout the day, the senior linebacker says it may be a tough transition for the incoming freshmen.

“It is a lot harder than high school. You are more by yourself. But if you aren’t able to do it, they have tutoring to help out,” Ippolito said.

With a new schedule for the school semester, football players have the choice to attend practices early in the morning or later in the evening. These practices give the players a time block to attend their classes.

Arizona Head Coach Rich Rodriguez and the other coaches are making sure the players get to class, go to bed early and do what they need to in order to succeed.

“Coach overemphasizes to get good grades, be a man and go to classes,” Ippolito said.

Transitioning to the start of the semester for red-shirt senior Michael Barton has been easier than he planned. The graduate student, who transferred from California, has his study time on Mondays and the rest of the week to focus on football.

“It is easier now because as an undergraduate, you have to take different subjects and as a graduate, it is more condensed,” Barton said.

The UA football players are hoping to score in their games and in their academics this year.

Follow Syrena Tracy on Twitter.