Arizona track and field to host Jim Click Shootout

Arizona+track+athlete+Pau+Tonnensen+descends+from+his+pole+vault+jump.+Arizona+track+and+field+hosts+the+Jim+Click+Shootout%2C+which+runs+Thursday+through+Saturday.+
Paul Merca/Arizona Athletics
Arizona track athlete Pau Tonnensen descends from his pole vault jump. Arizona track and field hosts the Jim Click Shootout, which runs Thursday through Saturday.

The Arizona men’s and women’s track and field team will be competing in the Jim Click Shootout this weekend.

The competition will be coming to the Wildcat as the meet takes place at Roy P. Drachman Stadium in Tucson.

Head coach Fred Harvey is happy to host the meet for two reasons: the level of competition and the home-field advantage.

“The big significance of the Jim Click Shootout is that the university and Jim Click have allowed us to bring in some of the top conferences in the country,” Harvey said. “In track and field, it is always important to match up with the best competition in the country.”

Among the competition this weekend will be Oklahoma State, which features some of the best distance runners in the country, giving Arizona’s own a chance to test themselves.

Meanwhile, the Arizona hurdlers will face competition from Iowa and TCU, who have boasted good times this season.

The advantage of the meet taking place in Tucson is huge, according to Harvey.

“It’s great for the coaches and athletes,” he said. “It allows everyone to sleep in their own bed and maintain their normal routine. When you can bring in high-level competition, it allows you to perform at a high level. The weather will be great and we can relax as the meet gets closer.”

Someone to watch out for at the Jim Click Shootout will be Pau Tonnesen, who is competing in his first decathlon of the season, which is the event he was the national runner up in a year ago.

“Pau is doing real well this season,” Harvey said. “He will be competing in his first decathlon this meet and we expect him to continue his push forward.”

Harvey expects a push forward from Tonnesen, as well as the rest of the team as the outdoor season moves on.

“The goal is to continue to get personal bests,” Harvey said. “Overall as a team, the goal is to be in the top five of the conference on both the men’s and women’s side and to finish in the top 20 on both sides in the NCAA outdoor championships.”

The women’s team currently sits inside of the nation’s top 25, demonstrating Harvey’s goals for the season are attainable.

Look for the Wildcats to continue their transition from the indoor season to the outdoor season with a strong showcase at the Jim Click Shootout on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Competition starts at 11 a.m. on Thursday.

Follow Hunter McAdams on Twitter