Arizona women knock off rival Sun Devils on senior day, men fight to draw

Sophomore Chatham Dobbs talks about the Wildcats meet against the Sun Devils on Feb. 4. Chatham finished first in the 50-yard freestyle and second in the 100-yard butterfly. 

In the final home meet of the season, the Arizona Wildcats took on their cross-state rival, ASU, in Hillenbrand Aquatic Center. The women’s team defeated ASU by a final score of 180-118.

The Arizona men’s meet went down to the wire. It all came down to the 400-yard freestyle relay, but there would be no winner as the meet ended in a 147-147 tie. 

The Arizona women’s team started off the meet with strong performances. Junior Tjasa Oder, freshman Kirsten Jacobsen and sophomore Emma McCarthy finished first, second and third respectively in the 1000-yard freestyle. The Wildcats used a very balanced performance to win the meet, with sophomore Annie Ochitwa (100-yard backstroke), sophomore Mik Ranslem (200 -yard butterfly), sophomore Katrina Konopka (50 Yard Freestyle), junior Cameron McHugh (200-yard backstroke) and sophomore Mackenzie Rumrill (100-yard butterfly) all contributing first place finishes on the day.

The two men’s teams went back and forth, with the final result coming down to the last event of the meet. Arizona was boosted by first place performances from junior Chris Wieser (1000-yard freestyle), sophomore Blair Bish (100-yard backstroke), junior Justin Wright (200-yard butterfly) and junior Nick Thorne (200-yard backstroke).

Arizona also received a productive day from sophomore Chatham Dobbs, who finished first in the 50-yard freestyle and second in the 100-yard butterfly.

“It was good,” Dobbs said, when asked about his performance on the day. “It would have been nice to win the 100 fly, but I gave it all I got. I need to work on executing the last 25, but I was happy with it.”

Arizona held a small lead going into the final event of the meet: the 400-yard freestyle relay. ASU needed a first and second place finish to secure a victory, but ultimately came up short, finishing at first and third place, resulting in the meet ending in a tie.

“We just stayed together as a team,” Dobbs said, when asked about how Arizona was able to hold off ASU. “We were really into the meet, really into each other’s swims. It was an awesome experience.”

With the Pac-12 championships on the horizon, Dobbs revealed the Wildcats’ game plan as they prepare for the event. 

“The team’s mindset is to qualify as many people as we can for NCAA’s and get a top eight finish in NCAA’s,” Dobbs said.

Next up for the Wildcats is the Pac-12 Swimming and Diving Championships in Federal Way, Washington.

They begin on Wednesday, Feb. 22 and conclude on Saturday, Feb. 25.

Follow Amanda O’Brien on Twitter

Follow Chase Becker on Twitter