Resources for Flu Season: Get your shot today!

A sign advertising flu shots was placed in front of the University Services Building. This year, Campus Health has surpassed the number of flu shots given out last year.

It is that time of year again, flu season. On a college campus such as the University of Arizona, it takes a toll on both students and faculty alike. 

While the virus has not broken out yet in the U.S., several students and faculty have already fallen ill from the common cold. According to the Center for Disease Control, this is when people should get vaccinated, before peak flu season hits later in the fall. 

Several locations near and on campus offer the annual flu shot for everyone, with or without insurance. 

Campus Health

One resource for students and faculty at the UA to receive their flu shot is at Campus Health. Flu shots are available on a walk-in basis at the Immunizations Clinic located on the ground floor of the Sports Medicine Clinic . 

RELATED: Are you covered during Flu Season?

According to Campus Health’s website, the 2018-2019 flu shot costs $27 without insurance.

An Aetna Student Health Insurance Plan and most other billable insurance plans are covered under Campus Health, and these plans also cover the $27 bill.

Campus Health encouraged students and faculty to receive a flu shot in various ways.

“Posters, ads, social media, videos — many different ways and approaches to help get the word out, including health talks around campus. Also, a number of flu shot clinics have been/are being offered,” said David Salafsky, director of health promotion-preventive services for Campus health and Wellness, via email. “The flu shot is the #1 best way to prevent the flu. Contrary to persistent myths, getting the vaccine cannot make you sick (the virus is not active in the vaccine), but it can prevent you from being sick for a week or more if you happen to get the flu.”

Flu shots will be available at the following days and times: 

• Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 8 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. in the Campus Health Sports Medicine Clinic
  • Wednesday: 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. in the Campus Health Sports Medicine Clinic
  • There will also be a Flu Shot Clinic on campus:
    • Thursday, Nov. 1: 10 a.m.- 2p.m. on the UA Mall 

To minimize wait time, Campus Health advised that students call (520) 621-9202 before coming in. 

CVS Pharmacy

Another option available to students is the CVS Pharmacy located at Main Gate Square at 825 E. University Blvd. 

The CVS website advised checking to see if your insurance provider would cover the cost. If not, it is $50.   

CVS Pharmacy currently advises patients to get their flu shots by having signs inside and outside of the store and asking patients if they have received their annual flu shot. The hours for CVS Pharmacy are: 

• Monday through Friday: 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
  • Saturday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
  • Sunday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Walgreens Pharmacy

Like CVS, Walgreens provides the flu shot. 

“Most of our flu shots cost $40.99 without insurance. With 99 percent of insurance plans, the total is $0, and others have a co-pay of $25,” said Kimberly Tran, pharmacy manager at Walgreens Pharmacy at 730 E. Grant Road. 

She noted the importance of especially around this time of year because it is vital that people are prepared before the virus hits.  

When in stock, Tran also stated that Walgreens Pharmacy made getting vaccinated a simple process. 

RELATED: Five ways to fight that pesky flu at UA this year

“As long as the Pharmacy is open and the patient is seven years old or over, the flu vaccine is available to them,” she said. “No appointment is necessary, just walk in.”

The hours for Walgreens Pharmacy are: 

• Saturday: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
  • Sunday 10 a.m.  – 6 p.m.

For more information on getting the vaccine at Walgreens Pharmacy, visit here

Follow Lauren Albrecht on Twitter