Q&A with Arizona soccer’s Ali Doller

Rebecca Marie Sasnett
Rebecca Marie Sasnett / The Daily Wildcat Ali Doller, forward, practices keep away during soccer practice Tuesday, Oct. 29, 2013.

With only three games remaining in the regular season, Arizona soccer (7-6-4, 2-5-1 Pac-12) will try to build off last Sunday’s draw against Washington when it plays host to Utah and Colorado this weekend at Murphey Field at Mulcahy Stadium.

Friday afternoon’s game matches the Wildcats up with the Utah Utes (8-3-6, 4-2-2 Pac-12), who are coming off a successful weekend against the L.A. schools that included a 1-1 draw with Pac-12 power UCLA. Colorado (12-4-1, 4-3-1 Pac -12) comes to town on Sunday at noon in what will be the Wildcats’ second-to-last home game of the season.

Wildcat junior forward Ali Doller, whose sixth goal of the season helped spur an Arizona rally against Washington last weekend, took a few moments with the Daily Wildcat to discuss this weekend’s games, as well as her quiet birthday celebration and affinity for Care Bear costumes.

Daily Wildcat: What are your thoughts on this weekend’s games against Utah and Colorado?

I’m excited for the games, but we all know they will be tough games against two good opponents. As long as we keep working hard and doing what our coaches instruct us to do, we will do fine.

The team has three regular season games left this season. What can the team do to go out strong this year?

Really everything we’ve been doing this year. Being optimistic, of course, is the number one thing, as well as giving as much effort as possible and doing the best we can.

After being on the road for five straight games, the team is now in its final home stand of the season. What is your favorite part about playing at home?

Well, the fans are always great and give us a lot of support. Also, my mom gets to come.

Last Sunday you turned 21; how was your birthday, and are you still recovering?

[Laughs] Unfortunately I didn’t get to celebrate because we are in-season, but it’s always great to have a day for yourself, and I even scored a goal, which made it even better.

Are you dressing up as anything for Halloween and what is your all-time favorite costume?

Let’s see, I’ve been a clown, one of the guys from KISS — but my favorite of all time was in high school, when one of my friend’s moms made me and like 20 of my friends Care Bear costumes that we all wore to school. This year, thanks to me, we are having a Halloween practice — but my costume is still a secret.

Favorite candy?

I like Reese’s a lot. Also, SweeTarts are good. The worst was when they gave out things like floss.