Unpredictable trio to tackle Tucson

Brooklyns Oneida totes nick-named musicians who call themselves psych-rock, but dont say much more about themselves when pressed for information in an interview. They play Solar Culture Monday night at 9 p.m.
    Brooklyn’s Oneida totes nick-named musicians who call themselves ‘psych-rock,’ but don’t say much more about themselves when pressed for information in an interview. They play Solar Culture Monday night at 9 p.m.

Doing an interview with Kid Millions, drummer for the Brooklyn-based “”psych-rock”” band Oneida, proved to be extremely difficult – almost as difficult as it is to decipher their music, which is at times eerie, at others psychedelic and at others even dream-like. By no means is there anything the band boasts that can even remotely be referred to as unoriginal.

Millions, whose name parallels that of the 1934 flick “”Kid Millions,”” which tells the tale of a Brooklyn boy who inherits $77 million from his father, wasn’t eager to discuss his nor the band’s past. In fact, he couldn’t even credit his own band for having any form of extraneous musical influence.

“”Our music is really beyond any band’s influence,”” Millions said. “”It’s not about who we listen to.””

Though the idea of influential closed-mindedness doesn’t usually go hand in hand with musicians, it has certainly created a unique sound, which the band has worked to progress throughout its 10-year career. Most of their songs seem to feature a repetitive melody, which often boasts an array of organs and bizarre effects to complement lead singer and guitarist Baby Hanoi Jane’s otherworldly voice. At times, the band’s sound seems to delve into a rock ‘n’ roll version of trance or house music.

“”Some of our songs are a direct attempt to play house music,”” Millions said. “”Those songs are about meditating on something simple and getting in touch with your body.””

The band’s heady sound can no doubt be attributed to the New York borough’s potent music scene. It was at the band’s local, hand-built recording studio, Sunset Grill, where they recorded their recently dropped Happy New Year, an album which Millions feels is, “”our best album so far.”” Featuring collaborations with Phil Manley, guitarist for the politically-fused Trans Am, and experimental pianist Emily Manzo, Happy New Year showcases the band’s innate ability to create weird music.

“”I enjoyed the process of making the album more than the album itself,”” Millions said. “”We originally made three discs worth of music so the whole editing part was very heartening.””

After a brief stint of coherence Millions displayed while talking about the new album, he seemed to regress back into his monotonous and often lame method of answering questions. Though he doesn’t seem to encompass the ability to conduct a lucid interview, he seems to have a talent for writing creatively rash and convincing prose to go along with his ever-so-soulful rhythmic abilities.

In his online journal which is featured on the band’s web site, www.enemyhogs.com, he and the rest of his bandmates critically analyze all aspects of music, giving the stumped Oneida listener a profound insight into the band’s extensive musical catalogue.

Now in the middle of their national tour, the band will play Solar Culture Gallery, 31 E. Toole Ave., Monday at 9 p.m. It will be an all-ages show.