Calendar

Amelie, starring the fetching Audrey Tautou (now star of 365,000 other films just like Amelie), is showing at The Loft Cinema today.  Celebrate Valentines Day with this quirky French movie icon.
    ‘Amelie,’ starring the fetching Audrey Tautou (now star of 365,000 other films just like ‘Amelie’), is showing at The Loft Cinema today. Celebrate Valentine’s Day with this quirky French movie icon.

Today

“”Amelie”” – If you promise your boyfriend you’ll see “”Eraserhead”” with him Friday, he might agree to go see “”Amelie”” with you on Valentine’s Day. Nothing’s more romantic than forced bribery. 8 p.m. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.

Visit France for Valentine’s Day with Marianne Dissard and Na’m Amor – Marianne Dissard for president of France! This singer-songwriter will collaborate with a jazz guitarist at that strange Asian/international supermarket. Afterwards, you can buy some frozen sesame seed balls. Noon to 2 p.m. Free. 17th Street Market, 810 E. 17th St.

Tucson Rodeo Parade Museum – To go along with the Tucson Rodeo, there will be a collection of coaches, wagons, vehicles, historic artifacts and dead cows from the 1830s on display. Scratch that, the cows are an art project. 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. $5. Tucson Rodeo Grounds, 4823 S. Sixth Ave.

“”When Harry Met Sally”” – Now here’s a film the guys can get into! There’s nothing hotter than Meg Ryan and everyman Billy Crystal getting it on in that deli scene. Sit back, pop open a cold beer and enjoy. 7:30 p.m. $8. Fox Tucson Theatre, 17 W. Congress St.

Tomorrow

Meet Peggy Shumaker – Author of “”Just Breathe Normally (American Lives),”” Shumaker has lived in Alaska and written about totem poles (which are really cool) and a book with the intriguing title: “”Wings Moist from the Other World.”” Plus, for a middle-aged woman, she has a really hip Web site with fashionable Easter/hipster colors. 7 p.m. Free. Antigone Books, 411 N. Fourth Ave.

Saturday

Sia – This poppy songstress will play with Har Mar Superstar, the sexiest half-naked fat man in the history of fat and bald indie singers who only wear just underwear onstage to be funny. But this guy’s got catchy songs! 6:30 p.m. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St.

Arizona Animal Fair – The event is slightly misleading because it seems that the only animals featured will be dogs and miniature horses. But there will be professional Frisbee teams, canine flyball and therapy dogs. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Free. Reid Park Dog Training Area, North Country Club Road and East 22nd Street

International Festival: Holy Resurrection Antiochian Orthodox Church – At first, this event sounded rather intimidating. But a quick look reveals that it’s really just a food festival, with cuisines from Syria, Lebanon, Russia, Ukraine, Italy and Latin America. There will also be an array of other booths and some Ukrainian egg painters. 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. $1. St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church, 602 N. Wilmot Road

Sunday

In Perfect Harmony: An Evening of Arab and Jewish Music – This event will feature an Arab-Jewish virtuoso ensemble and some people playing hand drums and the oud, which is similar to the lute. See, makes sense now. 6 p.m. $18 to $42. Centennial Hall, 1020 E. University Blvd.

Does Religion Make Any Sense? – Um, maybe? This religious talk will be put on by theologian Dick Watts will center on whether religion must inevitably clash with science. Doy, listen to Coldplay, they figured it all out two years ago with that one song. 1:30-3:30 p.m. Free. Joel D. Valdez Main Library, 101 N. Stone Ave.

Monday

Update on Venezuela after the referendum – A lecture, “”Two Steps Forward and One Step Back”” and a film, “”Five Factories”” will be the focus of the evening. These will bring people up-to-date on Hugo Chavez and the latest goings-on in Venezuela. 7-9 p.m. Free. Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering Auditorium

Tuesday

John Milbauer – This UA piano professor will perform works by Debussy, John Cage and Schubert. He will also use pencil erasers, electronic sounds, something called weather stripping and other strange techniques. 7:30 p.m. Free. Crowder Hall, 1017 N. Olive Road

The 17th Street Band fundraiser for KXCI Radio – Not sure if this band has anything to do with the sesame ball market, but it includes Tom Walbank and some other local musicians. They will play blues and jazz. 7-9 p.m. $5. Barrio Brewing, 800 E. 16th St.

Wednesday

Public Art in Tucson – This lecture by docent Carol Lehrman will discuss many of Tucson’s bizarre public art sculptures from “”fish to chairs and horseback to magic carpets.”” 1:30-2:30 p.m. $8. Tucson Museum of Art Auditorium, 140 N. Main Ave.