Undermanned Icecats miss out on National Tournament

The No. 20 Arizona club hockey team saw its playoff hopes go down the drain this weekend in a pair of losses at No 5 Oklahoma, 8-2 win on Saturday and 5-1 on Friday.

This extended the Icecats’ losing streak to six games.

The Icecats (13-13-1) could not overcome injuries that led to traveling with only 14 players for the series against the Sooner (26-4).

Without seven roster players, the Icecats skated onto the ice with only 12 active players on Saturday.

Goalie Nick Boddy started both games giving up 12 goals in both games, while junior Luke Edwall came out in relief for the third period allowing just one goal in the third.

Penalties dominated the tempo of Friday night’s game, as the Icecats were called for 55 through three periods.

Arizona also suffered two game disqualifications on Friday from forward Robbie Nowinski and Dave Cwik.

Late in the third, Oklahoma head coach Larry Donovan was ejected for throwing a water bottle on the ice after the Icecats scored their second goal.

“”This was one of the worst refereeing jobs I have ever seen in all my years of coaching,”” said Arizona head coach Leo Golembiewski. “”That’s the way you ensure victories, by having that kind of refereeing.””

Forwards Craig Irwin, Matt Conover, and Keith Patterson and defensemen Zach Cherney did not travel with the team due to injuries, and neither did defensemen Cody Morin due to personal reasons.

“”They (the Icecats) played like Wildcats,”” Golembiewski said. “”My players showed an incredible amount of heart and determination this weekend, despite the injuries.””

Conover will miss the rest of his sophomore season in order to heal from two deep bone bruises in his knee but will not need surgery.

The center Irwin is out for the year and will require surgery in March on his shoulder.

“”We want it (surgery) done quick,”” Golembiewski said. “”He’ll get it in March so we can have him back for next season’s opener.””