N9NEFest Returns

N9NEFest Returns
    Nick Dauchot

Tonight, the wildest place in Tucson will be the second annual, student-run N9NE Fest.

The event is put on by Tucson Music Fest, a company co-created by seniors Adam Richman, a regional development major, and Jack Chaluh, a business major, with the intention of giving the UA a yearly music festival everyone looks forward to.

“This is U of A,” Richman said. “Indiana has Little 500, we want N9NE fest to be U of A’s tradition. That every September 9 … this is the first day that guys’ fraternity rush is over, this is the first night everyone can go out — N9NE Fest, every year.”

It will be held at the Kino Sports Complex, 2500 E. Ajo Way, and gates open at 6:30 p.m. Tickets cost $30 for students and $60 for VIPs and can be purchased on the UA Mall between 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. VIP tickets gets a T-shirt, N9NE Fest sunglasses, a chance to avoid the long line and gain a spot in front of the stage.

In addition, if transportation is an issue, bus passes can be purchased ahead of time for $10 on the Mall or online. Buses will be running all night to the complex from Tucson High Magnet School, off Sixth Street and Euclid Avenue.

“Right now there about 900 people taking the bus,” Richman said. “It’s a round trip, you get on the bus, it’s a school bus, it’s a lot of fun. Everyone is yelling and screaming with 50 other people, and it’s just easy and convenient.”

The buses will run from 6 p.m. until 1:30 a.m., and there are 10 buses going back and forth, according to Richman.

Girl Talk was the headline last year, and N9NE Fest has managed to get even bigger names to perform this year, such as Lil’ Jon and Rusko. In addition to their performances, there will be five other lesser known names that Richman assures will be “worth checking out.”

Besides the musical attraction, there will be full concessions, a beer garden for people 21 and up, as well as a handful of other attractions for the crowd to enjoy.

“There’s two giant waterslides,” Richman said. “They’re really cool and we hope everyone comes wearing clothes they can get wet and have fun in.”

The foam from last year is also making a return, though not in the pit form attendees from last year might remember.

“Keep an eye out,” Richman said.

With more than 6,000 people expected to attend, more production value and an all-around “much better show” than last year, N9NE Fest should be quite the event. Plus, Richman insists it is “by students, for students.”

“With everything we planned and did it was ‘Hey, if I was there, what would I enjoy?’”