Track takes six events at Stanford

Will Ferguson
Will Ferguson/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Men’s and Women’s track meet held at the Roy P. Drachman stadium on March 31, 2011.

Arizona track and field came away with six event titles at Stanford this weekend while the throwers gave a solid performance at the Mesa and Sun Angel Classics.

“Overall I think it was an excellent competition,” head coach Fred Harvey said. “The two days proved to be very valuable for us.”

Junior high jumpers Nick Ross and Edgar Rivera-Morales were each other’s biggest rivals as they cleared the same mark at 2.22 meters. Ross took first, clearing the mark in fewer attempts.

“It’s good that we’re getting used to jumping the 2.28 (meters) because we’re trying to beat the mark for the Olympics,” River-Morales said.

Brigetta Barrett improved her nation-leading mark to 1.95 meters and is tied for the top jump in the world this season.

For the women runners, junior Georganne Moline is going strong with another 400-meter hurdle victory with a time of 57.25 seconds. Sophomore Shapri Romero took first in the 400-meter dash.

“I wanted to get out and maintain and then finish strong, and I did.” Romero said. “I heard coach Harvey on the back stretch so it felt good.”

Representing the men, senior distance runner Stephen Sambu led the group, winning the 5,000-meter race with a new personal-best time of 13:31.51.

Day two of the competitions brought the Wildcats their sixth win to wrap up the weekend. The women took first in 4×400 relay. Romero, Moline, sophomore Tamara Pridgett and senior Echos Blevins clocked in at 3:35.60. It was a morale-boosting win after the 4×100 women’s quartet was unable to carry the stick around the track earlier in the day.

“We won championships which is really impressive at a meet of this magnitude,” Harvey said. “We accomplished a lot today and I thought this meet would give us a better indication of where we’re sitting nationally and what type of things we need to work on for the future.”