Arizona football falls to Washington State 31-20

Antonia Muskat

The Arizona football team runs off the field at halftime during their match against Washington State on Nov. 19 at Arizona Stadium. The Wildcats would go on to lose the game 20-31.

After coming off of the best win in the Jedd Fisch era, the Arizona Wildcats didn’t look like themselves from a week ago against UCLA. From the start of the game, they lacked energy and aggression. In the end Washington State University defeated the University of Arizona 31-20. The Wildcats now move to 4-7 on the season with a matchup with ASU still remaining.

Jayden de Laura threw four interceptions during today’s game which is a career high for him. He finished the game 28-46 with a total of 357 yards and one touchdown pass. This was his second game of the season that he has thrown at least three interceptions.

“I’m disappointed in the outcome of the game today, Washington State’s a very good team,” head coach Fisch said. ” A little bit of Murphy’s law today, what could go wrong did go wrong.”

The scoreboard will show an 11-point loss but that is because Arizona scored two touchdowns late in the game when it was already out of reach.

“We had some opportunities to play great football, and we just didn’t [do that] on offense” Fisch said.

The Wildcats started the second half very poorly. Their first five offensive drives went as follows: punt, punt, interception, interception and interception. It is hard to be competitive — let alone win football games — while playing like that.

RELATED: 2022 Maui Jim Invitational preview

Dorian Singer still had an impressive game during a loss. He caught nine balls for a total of 176 yards and a touchdown. This was his fourth game of the season totaling over 100 yards.

Washington State was a perfect 4-4 in the red zone Saturday as Arizona could not pick up a key stop. Nine out of Arizona’s 11 games played this season they have allowed over 150 rushing yards in a game.

“The locker room is very hurt right now, the locker room also understands and knows that we are onto the team up north,” Fisch said. “Normally we have a 24-hour rule to move on, we now have a 24-minute rule.”

This loss officially puts Arizona’s bowl game hopes at an end. The Wildcats are now 4-7 with one game left next week against ASU in the Territorial Cup.

Follow Ryan Wohl on Twitter