Staff picks

Where will Chris Henry go?

border:thin solid;””>
    padding:2px;””>So he can run a 4.4 40. Big deal. So can half of the Arizona track team, but does that automatically make them NFL superstars? And isn’t experience a pretty hefty factor as well? He rode the bench like a Harley in third gear in his first two years as a Wildcat, and lost a lot of field time to Mike Bell and Gilbert Harris. He started in the last four games this year after losing his job to Chris Jennings, but he’s got a lot of growing up to do.

Low third round

Lance Madden, sports
    writer

border:thin solid;””>With the 29th pick of the third round, and 93rd overall of the 2007 NFL draft, the San Diego Chargers select Arizona running back Chris Henry. Henry will get the chance to learn from the MVP LaDainian Tomlinson, as well as former UA running backs coach and current Chargers offensive coordinator Clarence Shelmon. He’ll fill the need for a backup when Michael Turner is traded to the Buffalo Bills.

93rd overall, San Diego Chargers

Mike Ritter, sports
    writer

border:thin solid;””>Chris Henry’s stock went through the roof after this year’s NFL Combine. At first I thought he was absolutely insane when he gave up his senior season for the NFL, but after his performance in his workouts, it may not turn out so bad. Henry displayed his ability to run up the middle, or take it outside. He has a terrific burst and possesses great skills to be a successful receiver out of the backfield.

4th round

Ari Wasserman, sports
    writer

Who will go first?

border:thin solid;””>
    padding:2px;””>Gaines Adams, you’re moving to Oakland. He has the ability to chase down ball carriers in the corners. At 6-foot-5, 260-pounds, the defensive end is still growing. He’s great with his hands, but his index finger will be all that is needed for the draft: No. 1.

Gaines Adams

Lance Madden, sports writer

border:thin solid;””>The Raiders have some tremendous holes to fill, but they have to start building a new foundation, and that foundation starts with getting a new quarterback. If Al Davis doesn’t pick Russell, heads will roll in the Bay Area.

JaMarcus Russell

Mike Ritter, sports
    writer

border:thin solid;””>This year it looks as if JaMarcus Russell will be the first pick in the NFL draft. He isn’t the most talented player, nor does he have the most potential. The Oakland Raiders are intrigued with his extremely powerful arm, but what they are forgetting is his tendency to make poor decisions. Although he doesn’t have an attitude like Ryan Leaf’s, expect his career to be very similar to the Washington State grad’s.

JaMarcus Russell

Ari Wasserman, sports
    writer

What will be the biggest surprise?

border:thin solid;””>
    padding:2px;””>With all of the wasted attention on Chris Henry, Michael Johnson will sneak in while nobody is looking. He sat out a lot of the season with Arizona last fall, but he’s not given enough credit. He was a first-team NJCAA All-American selection while with Tyler (Texas) Junior College and earned All-Southwest Junior College Football Conference first-team and Defensive MVP honors. Even at the JC level, he’s got a lot more to his name than Henry.

Michael Johnson

Lance Madden, sports
    writer

border:thin solid;””>USC’s career record-holder for touchdowns and receptions keeps slipping and slipping in just about every published mock draft. So Dwayne Jarrett’s not that fast, only clocking a 4.62 on the 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine. Big deal. When it’s all said and done, Jarrett may turn out to be the best receiver in this class. As a freshman he had 13 touchdowns, and then added another 16 his second year. Last year he had a drop-off at 10 touchdowns, but he got injured in Tucson.

USC WR Dwayne Jarrett

Mike Ritter, sports
    writer

border:thin solid;””>Since they returned to the Dawg Pound in 1999, the Browns have not had a successful draft. They drafted Tim Couch as their franchise quarterback, but what they didn’t know was the guy wouldn’t be in the NFL six years later. This season is different. No more injuries. No more motorcycles. No more mediocrity. Everyone the Browns choose will turn to gold.

Cleveland Browns draft picks

Ari Wasserman, sports
    writer