Film review: ‘The Boy’ is another creepy doll movie with a major plot twist

STX Entertainment
    Theatrical poster for The Boy released Jan. 22. The Boy is about an American nanny who must follow a strict rules as she nannies an English family’s 8-year-old son who is actualy a doll.

If you’re one of those thrill-seeking and paranormal suspense loving beings, then turn your attention to the new film, The Boy. Directed by William Brent Bell, the film sets a grisly story in an old-fashioned setting. With decent acting and a roller coaster of a plot, The Boy is sure to leave some folks with a confused, yet satisfied demeanor.

The movie starts off simply. The main character, a pretty and seemingly calm American girl, Greta, travels to an unknown town in England for a nanny position. A car picks her up and takes her to a grand manor of the Heelshire family, which resides in the middle of a vast forest. The location of the house alone is enough to foreshadow some thrills.

Upon her arrival, Greta meets dashingly handsome grocery delivery man Malcolm, who has been working for the Heelshire family for a few years. Greta is then introduced to Mr. and Mrs. Heelshire, a sweet, elderly couple. Things seem pretty standard, until the Heelshires bring out a very frightening, realistic looking doll. Greta is completely caught off guard when the couple introduces the doll as their child, Brahms.

After learning that Brahms was indeed their child, who died in a fire 20 years ago, Greta feels sympathetic. It is quite clear, at first, that the situation involved a coping theme. This couple had lost their only child and could not let the idea of him go, so they used this life-like doll to represent him. Mrs. Heelshire is seen petting and kissing the doll, calling it, “mama’s good boy.” Greta shows immense sympathy toward their loss, and plays along for a little.

The Heelshire’s inform Greta that they will be away for a few months, putting Greta in charge of Brahms. Mr. Heelshire hands her a list of rules that must be followed. The rules contain instructions on how to treat Brahms. For example, one rule listed to not cover his face, and to not leave him alone. Greta obviously does not heed these warnings, and stashes the doll in a corner after the couple departs.

To Greta, the doll was nothing more than a toy, a coping mechanism for the lonely and desperate couple. But as the movie progresses, Greta begins to hear strange footsteps and child laughter throughout the house. She finds the doll hiding in different places. Her jewelry and clothing begin to go missing, and the movie becomes more intense with every scene.

As the incidents get worse, Greta begins to play with fire even more, and strives to figure the situation out. She begins a romantic relationship with Malcolm, the grocery man. He tells her that Brahms, through word of mouth, was said to be a very odd child. He explains that Brahms had a young female friend who vanished out of thin air after a play date, hinting that Brahms was the killer. He was a very particular boy, with a hot temper and a spoiled lifestyle, up until his death when the manor caught on fire.

As the noises and paranormal incidents increase, the ideology of the doll being possessed by Brahms’s ghost becomes more and more apparent. However, the movie takes a major turn of events in the middle of the film, and the following twist ending really played with viewers’ sanities leaving them utterly confused, and in major shock. The climax and resolution changed the entire viewpoint of the film. It was a definite twist for sure, and a good one at that.

The Boy has some terrifying moments that force theater-goers to cling to those around them. There is some violence, and a lot of dark and heart-stopping scenes. If you find yourself a fan of horror films that have a unique plot with classic horror aspects, then The Boy is a solid choice. 

Follow Sammy Cherukuri on Twitter.