Arizona to debut copper helmets against Oregon State

Zack Rosenblatt / Arizona Daily Wildcat

When Arizona takes on Oregon State this weekend in Arizona Stadium, fans will notice something different in the Wildcats’ game outfit.

For the first time, Arizona will don copper helmets, which were announced as part of a possible uniform combination in the summer.

The copper helmets are meant to be a tribute to the long copper mining history of the state of Arizona. Arizona (3-1, 0-1 Pac-12) currently produces 63 percent of copper in the United States, according to the Arizona Mining Association.

“We’re breaking out the copper helmet…it’s our first Pac-12 home game,” Arizona head coach Rich Rodriguez said. “Our guys will practice in them Wednesday and Thursday to get used to the new hats.”

There will not be a copper jersey or pair of pants at least this season, so Wildcat seniors, who pick the jersey and pant combination each week, will still pick either red or blue.

Senior quarterback Matt Scott, along with the other three players present at Monday’s weekly press conference were the first players to see the new helmets, said they’re leaning more towards blue jerseys.

Scott had a a little critique for the helmet too.

“They could make the ‘A’ a little bigger. I think we have to go blue,” Scott said.

Senior center Kyle Quinn’s concern had more to do with size, as the one on display at Monday’s weekly press conference was a bit too small.

“It’s pretty cool,” senior center Kyle Quinn added. “Hopefully they have big enough ones for us linemen. It’ll be great to represent what copper means to the state.”