Police Beat

Study Room Smackdown

University of Arizona Police Department officers were dispatched to a reported assault on campus at 11:48 p.m., May 11.

Several UA-affiliated members met at a study room to discuss living arrangements for the summer and upcoming fall semester.

Tensions began to rise after back-and-forth banter regarding whether to use a bedroom for storage over the summer or lease it out.

One female student disapproved and initiated a verbal confrontation that became physical with the member whose family owns the house.

Another roommate jumped in to defend the decision of the proprietor’s relative. She felt the displeased student’s remarks were hurtful and not needed by stating, “stop walking all over her” and “[you] walked all over her last semester.”

Upset by this defense and final decision, the angry student got up from the table to leave the study room.

Before exiting she approached the owner’s daughter and punched her face several times.

The student was able to fend off the attacker by grabbing her hair and pulling her by the neck.

The UAPD officer who interviewed the victim reported observing fresh scratch marks across her left cheekbone, neck and jaw, and a raised contusion above her left eye, which were all photographed and submitted to evidence.

Other witnesses reported to the officers that the offender initiated both the verbal and physical confrontations.

The offender was charged with assault and released.

Prank Gone Wrong

May 14 at 12:45 p.m., a UAPD officer witnessed four women wielding three gallons of paint walk toward Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity.

The officer then witnessed the women pour the paint over the gold lions in front of the fraternity while taking pictures executing the prank.

The women left the scene in pairs of two headed in opposite directions.

One UAPD officer stopped the pair of women moving toward the patrol car and asked if they had been drinking.

One woman denied drinking, while the other admitted to it. The officer said both women’s breath smelled like alcohol, and cited them for minor in possession before they were released.

Meanwhile, another UAPD officer stopped the other two women who matched the police description near Chi Omega sorority.

The officer observed paint on the hands and legs of the women and could smell alcohol on their breath.

When asked about the paint one woman replied, “So do I have to answer that question?” Then she was asked how much alcohol she drank, which she did not respond to.

She was handcuffed and placed in the back of the patrol car until the other officers contacted members of the SAE house.

The SAE house manager said he did not wish the press charges for vandalism and defacing property because it was just a prank.

One woman was charged with minor in possession, and both pairs were referred to the Dean of Students office for Student Code of Conduct violations before being released. 

_______________

Follow David McGlothlin on Twitter.