CD Review

“”Devil, we rebuke you in the name of Jesus!””

Opening his album with the raspy voice of DMX emphatically praying aloud, The Game sets a somber mood for the dramatic lyrics and chaotic melodies of “”LAX,”” the West Coast rapper’s latest release.

But “”LAX”” is two-faced. Some of the songs are repetitive and at times feel loose and sloppy. The third track, “”State of Emergency,”” which features Ice Cube, includes background sound effects like helicopters and sirens that often prove to be over the top and distracting.

Other songs reveal The Game’s knack for creativity and originality. Drummer Travis Barker, most known for his part in the punk rock trio Blink 182, brings a fresh sound to the hard-hitting song, “”Dope Boys.””

The Game has seen the worst of Compton, Calif. Losing two brothers to gunfire while growing up and surviving five bullet wounds in 2001 has certainly provided the inspiration and motivation needed for his intense writing.

Debuting at No. 2 on the Billboard Top 200, this collection of 19 tracks blatantly reveals the influences of deceased hip-hop icon Tupac Shakur. Classic bass-driven beats with gospel-like background vocals take listeners on a personal tour through street life in Southern California.

The Game saves his most powerful work for the end with “”Letter to the King,”” a slow, jazzy song dedicated to Martin Luther King Jr. and his wife, Coretta Scott King. Accompanied by Nas, The Game poses the question, “”If Dr. King marched today, would Bill Gates march? I know Obama would, but would Hilary take part?””