Hoops ranked in Top 10

Mike Christy
Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat The Arizona Wildcats hosted the Washington Huskies in a battle of Pacific 10 Conference basketball leaders Saturday, Feb. 19, 2011, in McKale Center in Tucson, Ariz. A defensive stop highlighted by a Derrick Williams block with 1.8 seconds remaining sealed the 87-86 Arizona win.

The Arizona men’s basketball team made a jump into the No. 10 spots in both the Associated Press and ESPN/USA Today Coaches poll Monday.

It was the first time the Wildcats have been ranked in the Top 10 since Jan. 8, 2007. The Wildcats also made headway in the RPI rankings, moving from No. 17 to No. 15.

The RPI rankings will become a factor on Selection Sunday, when coaches will see that two of Arizona’s losses came versus No. 3 Kansas and No. 7 BYU, which have higher RPI rankings of No. 1 and No. 3, respectively.

Meanwhile, forward Derrick Williams was named the Pacific 10 Conference Player of the Week for the third time this season.

The sophomore averaged 26 points and 9.5 rebounds to go along with two assists in the wins against the Washington schools.

-Arizona Daily Wildcat