Q&A with UAPD Chief Brian Seastone

David McGlothlin/Arizona Summer Wildcat

University of Arizona Police Chief Brian Seastone

University of Arizona Police Department Chief Brian Seastone migrated from his hometown, Boulder, Colo., for the dry heat of the Old Pueblo in 1980.

He worked as a local deputy sheriff until he got tired of the ice and snow. After building a close work relationship with the campus police at University of Colorado, Boulder, he elected to join UAPD as a patrol officer in Oct. 1980. He was promoted to police Chief in March 2014.

Students can catch Chief Seastone walking around campus on a regular basis. He said he prefers working for campus police “because you get to go out, meet the community, and be a part of it instead of being reactive, going from call to call.”

The chief welcomes questions and visitors and will answer direct calls to his office phone. His mission is to develop a close relationship with the community.

“We want people to think of us as their local, hometown police department that cares about them, cares about our community and makes everybody safe,” he said.

The Arizona Summer Wildcat sat down for an interview with Chief Seastone to get an insider’s perspective on working for UAPD.

Q: Best day on the job?

A: “It sounds cliché, but everyday is a pretty cool day on the job. You don’t know what to expect. Everyday is going to be different.”

Q: Favorite cop movie?

A: “‘Beverly Hills Cop,’ probably.”

Q: Do you start you day with a donut?

A: “I think I’m an anomaly. I don’t drink coffee. I don’t drink tea. I don’t eat donuts very often. However, I’ll have a Coke Zero.”

Q : Standout memories?

A: “Well, a Shetland pony [a mini horse] in one of the fraternities years ago.… So it’s three in the morning, and I’m walking this pony [in full UAPD uniform] down the street through campus to the owner. People are looking at me like ‘you’re crazy.’

[Laughter]

“Another night I had a ride-along—where you can come out on patrol to see what we do. So I’m at Speedway [Boulevard] and Cherry [Avenue,] and this lady is sitting in my car when all the sudden about 35 guys are streaking naked across the street, and she says, ‘I really like your campus.’ So, like we said, it’s a lot of fun.”

Q: Best time of year?

A: “Tongue-in-cheek—which is really true—it’s August through May, because it’s really quiet around here in the summer.”

Q: What about favorite UA event?

A: “There are so many things here. I go to lots of stuff at Centennial Hall, football and basketball games, I’ve had season tickets for years.… It’s kind of like, pick what you want to do.”

Q: Closing statement?

A: “We need the additional 50,000 eyes and ears out there. Don’t be afraid to report crimes. We don’t want anybody to get hurt.… I say it’s tough to say what is strange and unusual around here … but if something doesn’t seem right, call us.”