Scatter Shot

Scatter Shot

Newsworthy

Frankie Muniz is on an acting break since he finished shooting the final episode of “”Malcolm in the Middle”” and will soon begin his career as a racecar driver. Muniz, 20, fell in love with racing while competing in celebrity events and is apparently pretty good – although he recently lost to tennis great Martina Navratilova in a pro-am race. His break may only last two years, so you can count on “”Cody Banks 3: Pit Stop in Daytona”” to hit theaters sometime in 2009.

Words

While I was going to suggest that everyone go to YouTube to check out a video of “”N64 Christmas,”” why not just direct you to http://screenhead.com, your blogging source for interesting and hilarious videos. Yesterday on the site: a stop-motion animation video of G.I. Joes and a cake made with Cadbury CrÇùme Eggs instead of actual eggs, just in time for Easter.

Random Review

Bravo’s “”Top Chef”” has really manipulated me into becoming a regular viewer. The “”Apprentice””-style show, which airs Wednesdays at 10 p.m., features different levels of chefs competing for money and prizes. The reason it’s so addictive has to be the eclectic personalities (read: brawling crazies) on the show. I didn’t know how big-headed game-show chefs could be.

Images

Although “”Lazy Sunday”” was sort of funny, losers will finally have something to cheer them up when they’re stuck at home Saturday night. On April 29, “”Saturday Night Live”” will air a “”TV Funhouse”” compilation from Robert Smigel. Ace (Stephen Colbert) and Gary (Steve Carell) of “”The Ambiguously Gay Duo”” will host the show.

Sounds

What Kris Kross was to hip-hop, Smoosh is to indie rock. The band, made up of sisters Chloe, 12, and Asya, 14, recently signed to Barsuk Records, current home of Nada Surf and former home of Death Cab for Cutie. They’ve toured with Jimmy Eat World and Mates of State, and played with Death Cab for Cutie and Sufjan Stevens. While I predict they might have more impact in their genre than Kris Kross did, let’s not discount the power of “”I Missed the Bus.”” Check out some tracks on www.gorillavsbear.net and www.smoosh.com

Gripe of the week

This weekend, we will be graced not with a sequel but with a sequel to a sequel to a sequel. “”Scary Movie 4″” hits every screen in the country this weekend, and, if the previous two installments weren’t enough of an indicator, it’s going to suck hard. All I have to draw from is the trailer, but there’s plenty to gripe about. First of all, they hardly seem to be concentrating on horror flicks, with Tom Cruise’s famous breakdown on “”Oprah”” recreated. Next, Dr. Phil and Shaquille O’Neal make cameos. Dr. Phil is a no-brainer because he’s not only one of the most annoying personalities in any kind of media, he’s also someone who your target audience certainly has no interest in. And O’Neal? Well, “”Kazaam”” was a little weak. This movie better not make $50 million over the weekend, although “”Scary Movie 5″” is the only way Anna Faris will get more work.

Quoteworthy

“”I was coming back from Africa on one of my trips. I had taken one of my wealthy friends with me. She said, ‘Don’t you just feel guilty? Don’t you just feel terrible?’ I said, ‘No, I don’t. I do not know how me being destitute is going to help them.’ Then I said when we got home, ‘I’m going home to sleep on my Pratesi sheets right now and I’ll feel good about it.'””

-Oprah Winfrey on Monday at a fundraising event for Beth Tfiloh Dahan Community School. Thanks Oprah. You are such a groundbreaker. And yes, that is a fat joke.