Hoops clips trees at buzzer

STANFORD, Calif. – Freshman Momo Jones banked in a game-winning, 15-foot jumper at the buzzer and scored a career-high 16 points, lifting Arizona to a 71-69 victory over Stanford on Saturday.

Forward Derrick Williams led the Wildcats (14-14, 8-8 Pacific 10 Conference) with 24 points, making 8-for-10 shots from the field and 7-for-12 from the line. But his most important play came before Jones’ off-balance shot won the game. Williams blocked a shot by Stanford’s Jack Trotter, and Jones delivered the game-winner under heavy pressure, falling to the court as his shot banked home.

Williams and Jones were also aided by fellow freshman Solomon Hill, who had nine points and seven rebounds for Arizona.

Stanford forward Landry Fields, the Pac-10’s leading scorer, had 24 points for Stanford (13-16, 7-10), while sophomore Jeremy Green scored 15 and guard Jarrett Mann tallied a career-high 13.

With veterans Nic Wise and Jamelle Horne struggling — they combined for just 12 points, seven rebounds and one assist — it was the freshmen that brought Arizona back.

Stanford led by as many as nine points midway through the second half, but Arizona rallied and tied the score 64-64 as Williams whipped a pass to Hill for an inside basket with 4:10 left.

Williams made 1-for-2 free throws with 30 seconds left, tying the game again at 69 before Jones hit the shot that brought the Wildcats back to .500.