Arizona volleyball loses to USC and UCLA, moving to 11-6 on the season

Amelia McAnear

The Arizona volleyball team huddles together after a game against ASU on Sept. 21 in McKale Center. The Wildcats would lose to ASU 1 match to 3. 

The Arizona volleyball team fell to USC 3-1. The Wildcats looked to bounce back from their loss in the last match against the University of Oregon but were over-matched against USC. This loss dropped the Wildcats to 11-5 on the season.

Friday, Oct. 7: Arizona vs. USC

Set 1 (25-20

The first set opened with both teams trading kills early and then began trading errors as Arizona was able to keep ahead of the Trojans. Skylar Fields would spark a 3-0 run for USC, and this would eventually switch the momentum of the match. The Trojans would follow this run up with a 7-2 scoring run and pull away from the Wildcats to win set one by five.

Set 2 (22-25) 

In the second set, it was more of the same early with both teams trading kills and errors back and forth. The leader in kills for the Trojans, Fields, would have a big kill set, leading her team with seven kills for the set. Despite that, Arizona’s Sofia Maldonado Diaz and Alayna Johnson were able to deliver three kills apiece in crucial spots for the Wildcats. This allowed them to retain momentum for the set in a back-and-forth contest and squeak out a set win.

Set 3 (25-20) 

Set three was much the same as the first two sets; it was a back-and-forth contest. Both teams traded kills with one another, as the lead would switch back and forth until late in the set when the Wildcats would self-sabotage and give up three errors. This would allow the Trojans to pull ahead 20-17. Puk Stubbe and Emery Herman were able to score a kill each late down the stretch of the set, but the 11 errors from Arizona were too much to overcome.

Set 4 (25-20) 

The Trojans would come out this set much faster than the others and pull ahead early to a 7-4 lead. Arizona never quit and continued battling back. However, the mistakes would cost them yet again as the Trojans pulled away because of them. Fields continued to play at a high level and Jordan Wilson added four kills of her own in this set. The Trojans would prove to be too much for the Wildcats as they would close out the match.

Sunday, Oct. 9: Arizona vs. UCLA

Arizona fell to UCLA 3-1, as the Wildcats’ losing streak was extended to three games. Arizona lost by set scores of 21-25, 25-22, 25-12, and 25-16. This loss dropped the Wildcats to 11-6 on the year.

Set 1 (21-25) 

In the opening set, Arizona would get the scoring started first and would build an early lead. Arizona kept slightly ahead of UCLA due to their mistakes. Sofia Maldonado would lead the Wildcats in kills for the set, as Arizona would have a wire-to-wire victory in set one.

Set 2 (25-22) 

Opening set two, UCLA would get the scoring started first, and retake the momentum from Arizona. The Bruins would open up on an 8-1 scoring run, partly fueled by errors from the Wildcats. However, Charitie Luper had an incredible second set for UCLA, as she led her team to a wire-to-wire victory with eight kills by herself.

Set 3 (25-12) 

Set three was complete domination by UCLA. The Bruins did start slow and trailed by 3 early, but then would go an 11-0 scoring run completely taking full control of the match. Arizona would get a few more kills in the set, but it was nothing major. Luper and Elan McCall would have four and three kills, respectively, leading this dominating set win.

Set 4 (25-16) 

In set four, it was more of the same as UCLA continued to dominate the match. The Bruins started fast and kept it going throughout the set. Johnson of Arizona would have three kills for the Wildcats leading them this set in kills, but it would not be enough as the Bruins went on several scoring runs to close out set four with a win.

The Wildcats will be back in action this Friday, Oct. 14 against Stanford University.

Follow Jason Dayee on Twitter