Urquidi, Dunn take on UNLV Invitational for Arizona men’s tennis

Two players from the men’s tennis team will will travel to the UNLV Invitational this weekend.

Senior Mario Urquidi and sophomore Matt Dunn will begin tournament play on Friday and continue through Sunday.

“It’s the last tournament of the fall for these two guys. Mario is a senior and it would be nice to see him finish strong and finish with a bang,” said head coach Tad Berkowitz.

Urquidi said he hopes to find success after an “up and down” fall season.

“I’ve been putting a lot of conditioning work in the morning and I feel this is the best I’ve felt physically for this tournament,” Urquidi said.

Dunn said he would like to come away with a main draw win as he has already had some back draw wins. To prepare, he and Urquidi have been practicing their doubles and singles play.

“This is a good tournament to go to. We’ve just been working hard everyday,” said Dunn.

Berkowitz said he hopes this tournament will be “another step in the right direction” for Dunn and show that he’s ready for the spring season.

Arizona will face off against teams it doesn’t normally see during spring matchups. The UNLV Invitational will host teams from different conferences, including Arkansas and Auburn.

“It’s a good testing point for us to see where we’re at against good teams around the country,” Berkowitz said.

— Follow Brittney Smith @BrittSmith14