Swim teams lead after first day in Texas

Both the No. 2 Arizona women’s and No. 6 men’s swim teams are in first place at the Texas Invitational in Austin, Texas, where they had their first opportunity to qualify for the 2007 NCAA Championships.

The teams, which will continue to compete today and tomorrow, accumulated 500 points apiece yesterday and met 17 qualification times while setting four new school records.

For the women, senior co-captain Whitney Myers broke the Arizona record in the 100-yard butterfly event with a time of 51.55.

On the men’s team, junior Albert Subirats also broke the Arizona record in the 100y butterfly event with the automatic qualifying time of 45.06. He then won the 50y freestyle event.

Also for the men, senior co-captain Adam Ritter broke a school record in the 200y individual medley with a time of 1:43.96.

In the 50y freestyle event, five women met the NCAA time standards, including sophomore Lara Jackson, who set a school record with a time of 22.05 in the preliminary event.

Junior co-captain Lacey Nymeyer qualified in the event along with sophomores Taylor Baughman, Lindsey Kelly and Anna Turner.

Nymeyer also qualified in the 500y freestyle event.

In the 100y butterfly, junior Brandy Collins, sophomore Hailey DeGolia and freshman Ana Agy finished with qualification times for the UA women.

Myers, DeGolia and freshmen Andrea Boritzke and Jenny Forster also qualified in the 200 IM event.

The 200y freestyle relay team of Nymeyer, Kelly, Jackson and Turner met qualification times in the preliminary action.

Rounding off the competition for the men, freshman Jean Basson qualified in both of the 500y freestyle events.

Both relay teams for the men met automatic qualifying times, as the 200y freestyle relay team of Ritter, junior Darian Townsend, and freshmen Joel Greenshields and Jordan Smith qualified in the preliminary round.

The 400y medley relay team saw similar success in the final round of the day, as Ritter, Subirats, junior Ivan Barnes and freshman Jake Tapp qualified with a time of 3:09.69.