UA’s Green Career Mixer ‘suc-seed-ed’

Sydney Kenig
Students talk to Arizona Conservation Corps at the Green Career Mixer on Wednesday September 25, 2018 in the Irving and Rose Levine Grand Ballroom at the University of Arizona. The event is for students will all majors that believe in green initiatives

The Green Career Mixer kicked off with over 100 students attending within the event’s first hour. The event, held in the Student Union Memorial Center’s North Ballroom, had 22 organizations in attendance.

“The fall is better timing for the companies because of the internships they offer,” said Peter Corrigan, associate director of employer and alumni direction.

RELATED: Unplugged and Raw: A concert by students, for students

Corrigan credited the mixer’s success to the event sponsors, GLHN Architects & Engineers, Inc. and a $1,500 grant from the Office of Sustainability. This funding allowed more companies to attend the mixer this time around.

GLHN was present at the event and talked to the Daily Wildcat about what they normally look for in applicants. They emphasized the ability to work in teams and a desire to learn. 

“Our success comes from helping others succeed,” said Kat Anderson, operations & marketing administrator for GLHN.

Other companies present included Banner University Medical Center, Arbico Organics, Tank’s Green Stuff and Swire Coca-Cola USA. 

First-time participants Arbico Organics work with natural products for organic gardening and farming. They are stationed locally in Tucson and wanted to reach out to students about summer jobs. 

Theresa Vettore, human resources coordinator for the company, aimed to recruit self-motivated students who are willing to learn through hands-on experience. Vettore referenced the summer jobs at Arbico Organics as “a good liaison into full-time work.”

Returning Alumna Jessica Rosansky graduated in August with a degree in environmental science. She came back to UA for the Green Career Mixer. 

“I was deciding between jobs and grad school when I got the [invite] email,” she said. Rosansky’s advice to students looking to attend career mixers is to always bring a copy of your resume to hand out. “It’s better to do it in person.”

The organizations attending agreed that student majors do not need to be specific to sustainability to apply for their internships and volunteer work.

RELATED: Student Unions’ plantED Culinary Worshop series returns

As Michael Bernier, director of sustainability at Swire Coca-Cola, put it, “You don’t have to have a degree in sustainability to be in sustainability.” 

Senior Zoe Mendoza, a neuroscience & cognitive science major, attended the event in hoped of finding a research opportunity before entering grad school. She expressed her interest in the Banner University Medical Health Center’s project for pollution effects on the brain. 

“I want to work for something I believe in,” she said. 

Mendoza recommends attending events like the Green Career Mixer to other students at the UA because “you never know what you’ll find.”

Follow Frida Gomez on Twitter