Big K.R.I.T. debuts new studio album

Courtesy of Billboard

K.R.I.T. couldn’t hit the nail closer on the head.

Big K.R.I.T.’s initials tightly fit the feelings toward his self-produced debut album, Live from the Underground, released June 5. The Mississippi rapper has set the standard pretty high for his applauded three mix tapes, “Krit Wuz Here,” “Return Of 4Eva” and “4Eva N A Day,” but unfortunately his studio album doesn’t completely measure up.

The album is a mix of everything you wouldn’t expect on a rap album, as Big K.R.I.T.’s versatility shines through in his ability to rap to an unwinding beat one minute then to straight hip-hop the next. The hard Southern rapper slows down a portion of the album with slow jams like “Porchlight” featuring Anthony Hamilton, then reps his home region in “Cool 2 Be Southern.” He livens up ordinary beats with touches of old school rhythm and blues.

Live from the Underground features big names like Ludacris, Melanie Fiona, 2 Chainz and the “King of Blues” B.B. King. Each featured artist brings out a different side of the rapper, demonstrated through the variety of lyrics.

The rapper’s potential is undeniable, but hidden by a few flukes in song choice and ear-wrenching chorus lines like in the song, “Yeah Dats Me.” But the better songs outweigh the annoying lyrics. Check out “I Got This,” “If I Fall (featuring Melanie Fiona)” and “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” for the best of this polarizing album.