Arizona men’s basketball drops road game to Oregon after rough second half

Madeleine Viceconte
Ryan Luther and Chase Jeter talk with each other before the game against Stanford on Sunday, Feb. 24 at McKale Center.

Arizona men’s basketball hit the road Saturday night and travelled to Eugene, Ore., only to drop another game against the Ducks this season, this time by a whopping score of 73-47.

The game was a tale of two halves, as the Wildcats started out the game with a 9-0 run and ended the half on an 8-2 run but remained all squared with the Ducks, each team with 31 points. Arizona was able to stay with Oregon on all aspects of the board – until the second half rolled around.

The final 20 minutes of the game was a completely different story for Arizona. The Wildcats shot a measly 5-26 in the second half to score a paltry 16 points, compared to 10-22 in the first half of the game.

Five of the Wildcats missed all of their attempted shots in the second half, including Dylan Smith (0-7), Brandon Randolph (0-4), Ira Lee (0-1), Devonaire Doutrive (0-2) and Alex Barcello (0-2).

The 16 points in the second half came from only three players for Arizona: Brandon Williams (10), Justin Coleman (4) and Jake Desjardins (2).

On the other side of the fence, the Ducks shot 15-26 in the second half to add 42 points to the board and send the Wildcats back to Tucson with no mercy.

Arizona’s Dylan Smith led the way for the Wildcats scoring 14 points (5-14), as well as four rebounds and one assist.

Oregon’s Louis King led the way for the Ducks, scoring 14 (4-13), as well as seven rebounds and one assist.

Arizona men’s basketball will end the regular season next Saturday, March 9, against ASU at 2 p.m. in McKale Center in Tucson. After that, the ‘Cats will head to Las Vegas, Nev., to compete in the Pac-12 Tournament Wednesday, March 13 to Saturday, March 16.

Follow Amit Syal on Twitter