Arizona baseball bounces back

During the last three days, Arizona right fielder Steve Selsky has found out that good things come to those who wait.

Selsky, who made his home debut for the No. 15 Wildcats after missing 16 games with a broken bone in his right hand, went 5-of-14 during the three-game sweep of the University of San Francisco Dons (9-11), hitting two home runs and driving in six runs.

“”I’m still trying to get comfortable. I’m trying to get my body used to reacting to off-speed pitches,”” Selsky said. “”That’s going to come with seeing more pitches. After not swinging a bat for five and a half weeks and just getting right back into it, I’m pleased with being able to swing. I like suiting up with these guys, so I’m just really happy.””

Arizona (16-5), having swept its final series before the start of Pacific 10 Conference play, is high on confidence heading into this weekend’s showdown with No. 6 ASU after outscoring the Dons 29-5.

“”There’s a lot of intensity, there’s a lot on the line (in Pac-10 play),”” said Arizona head coach Andy Lopez. “”That’s where you make or break your season. To have a little momentum after coming out and doing what they did, that’s impressive.””

The struggling Arizona bullpen found a groove, giving up only two runs in 7.1 innings of work while allowing only five hits.

“”I thought (Bryce) Bandilla did a good job, and (Matt) Chaffee did a good job,”” Lopez said. “”It was good coming off of the Wichita State experience, it was good to see those guys pitch good this week and weekend.””

The “”Wichita State experience”” featured the Arizona bullpen giving up 10 earned runs and 11 free passes over 9.8 innings in two games.

Bryce Bandilla may have been the biggest culprit against the Shockers — walking five over 3.2 innings pitched — but the flame-throwing leftie settled in against USF, not allowing a run in three innings pitched.

The importance of a solid bullpen was highlighted in Sunday’s 8-5 victory when USF brought the tying run to the plate in the seventh inning, but Bandilla got Nick Balog to strike out — ending the Don rally.

Snapping the skid?

After a miserable start to the 2011 season, junior catcher Jett Bandy seems to have finally snapped his slump. Aside from looking more comfortable at the plate during the sweep of USF, Bandy went 7-for-18 over his last 19 plate appearances, lifting his season average to .253.