Arizona up 41-38 against Oregon at halftime

Simon Asher
Arizona’s Brandon Randolph, right, blocks a dunk by Oregon’s Elijah Brown, left. A foul was called on Randolph, and a technical was called on Brown.

After being up by 13, Arizona men’s basketball leads Oregon 41-38 at halftime in the McKale Center. 

Both teams shot over 50 percent in the first half. Oregon overcame a double-digit deficit and shot their way back into the game to end the half with Arizona up three. 

Deandre Ayton finished the half with 10 points and four rebounds while Dusan Ristic added 10 points of his own. 

Arizona started the game with two back-to-back turnovers, let Oregon take a 4-0 lead, then started hitting shots. The Wildcats went 6-6 in the first four minutes of the game and continued to shoot well while holding Oregon scoreless for 4:32 midway through the first half. 

Allonzo Trier also scored nine points. Trier started scoring early for Arizona with a 3-pointer and then shot 3-for-8 in the first half.   

After taking a 12 point lead, Arizona went scoreless for several minutes while Oregon climbed back in with a 7-0 run. 

Arizona pushed the lead back to nine with a momentum changing dunk by Keanu Pinder in the first half. 

With just under seven minutes to go in the first half, Oregon guard Elijah Brown came up with a steal and went for a fast break dunk on the other end. Brandon Randolph closed the gap with a highlight-reel chase down block. The officials called a foul on the block and then a technical on Brown for clapping at Randolph after the play. 

Numerous times during the first half, McKale Center erupted in a angry roar as the officials made tough calls against Arizona. At the end of the half, Arizona head coach Sean Miller had a few angry words with the officials while booed loudly. 

Follow Nate Airulla on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram