ASUA plans for semester ahead

Timothy Galaz / Arizona Daily Wildcat

ASUA Senators Tyler Quillin, 20, Philosophy and English Junior, goes over a peer mentoring program he is developing at the ASUA meeting Wednesday in the SUMC Ventana Room
Timothy Galaz
Timothy Galaz / Arizona Daily Wildcat ASUA Senators Tyler Quillin, 20, Philosophy and English Junior, goes over a peer mentoring program he is developing at the ASUA meeting Wednesday in the SUMC Ventana Room

Student government senators had little to report this week at the Associated Students of the University of Arizona meeting, which lasted 15 minutes. What they didn’t cover in committee updates, they made up for in announcements.

Sen. Sarah Bratt and Hillary Davidson are planning to organize a short-term relief committee to provide supplies to an orphanage in Haiti. The orphanage, which was damaged in the Jan. 12 earthquake, is home to about 500 children.

ASUA is partnering with Zona Zoo to take donations and send aid to the ravaged island.

“”We would like to hopefully get it (sent out) within the first two weeks of February,”” Bratt said. 

Bratt and Davidson are asking students to donate toothpaste, shampoo, first aid kits and other necessities. The pair plans to have a complete list of supplies needed by the orphanage at ASUA’s next meeting.

“”We’re waiting to hear back from the actual organization about what they want,”” Davidson said. 

At the meeting, ASUA Executive Vice President Emily Fritze announced that a club fair would take place today from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the UA Mall, and would include more than 100 UA clubs and organizations.

Senators also announced that the Women’s Resource Center kicked off its film series this semester with the movie “”On Hostile Ground,”” which addresses the issue of abortion. The film is said to showcase both sides of the abortion debate, according to Administrative Vice President Gabby Ziccarelli. 

For those who missed last night’s event, the Women’s Resource Center will host a similar opportunity tonight and show the short documentary “”I had an Abortion.””

After the viewing there will be a short discussion of the film and other issues concerning Roe v. Wade. This event is free and takes place at 7 p.m. in the Women’s Studies building.

Other announcements covered Spring Fling, Safe Ride and ASUA elections.

The Spring Fling committee is gearing up for its event in April and is beginning the search for volunteers.

Safe Ride is well on its way to hitting this year’s goal of giving out 70,000 rides to students, helped by the fact that Safe Ride usage typically increases in the spring.

Finally, President Chris Nagata informed senators and audience members that election packets are due Feb. 2.