Tough competition awaits women’s golf team at Pac-10s

The No.12 Arizona women’s golf team will compete in the Pacific 10 Conference Championships, a tournament that will provide the Wildcats with a lot of tough competition. The three-day, 54-hole tournament, hosted by USC at Palos Verdes Country Club in Palos Verdes Estates, Calif., kicks off today.

Six of the 10 teams are ranked nationally in the current Golf World/National Collegiate Golf Association Coaches’ Poll, meaning the Wildcats need to rely on their team-play style, something that has boosted them to being the No. 12 ranked team in the country.

“”I think we can definitely compete,”” said first-year head coach Shelly Haywood. “”There is a lot of tough competition but we are definitely one of the top teams.””

The Wildcats have historically done very well at the Pac-10 Championships since it began in 1987. The Wildcats have won six conference titles, trailing only ASU, which currently owns seven championships. Last year the Wildcats finished fourth at the Pac-10 championships, which were held at Broadmoor Golf Club in Seattle.

The Wildcats will send out their normal five starters in senior leader Alison Walshe, senior Mary Jacobs, rising freshman star Alejandra Llaneza, junior Amanda Wilson and sophomore Emily Mason.

Together, the Wildcats’ starting five has played well together and has consistently had each other’s backs throughout the course of the season.

“”I think that team play has been huge for us,”” said Haywood. “”We play as a team and pick each other up.””

The Wildcats’ key is going to be how they play as a team which they have prided themselves on this year, something that most of their competition has not. This could have a huge impact on the tournament and as long as the Wildcats keep each of their five players in the competition they should do well.

“”We have gotten it done all year and I think that we are definitely ready to compete,”” Haywood said.