St. Philip’s Farmers Market provides a weekend community for desert dwellers

Tyler Baker
    Rich Crest Farms is one of the vendors that attends the weekly farmers market held on Sundays in St. Philip’s Plaza. Every week, dozens of vendors attend to sell various goods to Tucsonans.

Whether we attend them or not, the fact that a local farmers’ market exists in our community restores a bit of faith in humanity. People take the time to create an experience where everyone can appreciate honest craftsmanship, and present a major change of pace from a highly populated urban environment

Despite this, not many people know about the St. Philip’s Plaza Farmers Market on Campbell Avenue and East River Road. The Santa Catalina Mountains simply seem more alive at St. Philip’s Plaza under the desert air on a weekend morning. Every Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., St. Philip’s becomes the heart of north Tucson when hundreds of locals trickle in and out of the plaza.

To put it another way: People say time is money; but time spent at St. Philip’s Plaza puts true value in perspective. The market offers community and creativity, two things of which there can never be too much.

St. Philip’s Market has grown in size and popularity over the last few months. The entire forum flows with vendors throughout the morning and into the afternoon. The sea of white tents entices those driving by to stop and check out the market. 

The plaza now features such a vast array of different goods and services that St. Philip’s has become the place to go on the weekends.

Creativity comes in all different forms under the white tents. St. Philip’s features a spectrum of craftsmanship that includes massage therapy, photography and jewelry making; and the food scene offers everything from packaged beef, to salmon, to peanut butter.

St. Philip’s consistently hosts local music talent. 

Ivan Mendez, a guitarist and UA senior studying entrepreneurship and management information systems, plays at St. Philip’s most weekends. 

“What’s most fulfilling about playing at the market is the sense of community that the people foster with their attitudes?” Mendez said.

During the semester when things get busy, a sense of community outside of the university offers a valuable grounding effect for students.

The success of St. Philip’s speaks to its value in the Tucson community. Within a few moments of being there, the faces of the visitors give away the atmosphere guests are about to encounter. The market doesn’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon, so take a trip to St. Philip’s this semester.

Follow Michael DeCindis on Twitter