CALA’s fiscal fears quelled

The College of Architecture is set to recoup roughly $30,000 that was taken from it during the initial budget sweeps done by the UA administration in differential tuition.

All the money that was taken from the college should be returned within the next couple of weeks, said David Shirk, senior business manager for the College of Architecture and Landscape Architecture.

“”Our understanding is that that money is not in jeopardy,”” Shirk said. “”We definitely are in the process of requesting that the differential tuition dollars come back into the School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture.””

It is now up to the college to file an official request with the university so that the money can be returned to the college’s discretionary fund, Shirk said.

“”The way that this has been set up is that the provost has said that all of those moneys that were moved into one line (of funds), all of the lines that were swept and were moved into one line, those moneys can be requested back by the colleges,”” Shirk said.

During the original budget analysis process, Shirk said the university simply went through and absorbed all state-allocated funds, which included the differential tuition money that was paid for by the students in the college.

“”Technically those dollars are considered state dollars, and so what was swept was all of the state dollars that remained on the lines, and so it was taken up in the process,”” Shirk said. “”It was just kind of swept up with all of the other dollars.””

Jan Cervelli, dean of the college, said the university’s goal was not to take the college’s money, but rather to encourage them to spend it in a fiscally responsible manner.

“”No money was taken away from the college,”” Cervelli said. “”It has been placed in an account where we are anticipating major budget cuts, so we are asked to be very prudent in the expenditure of that money.””

Undergraduate and graduate students are required to pay an additional fee that is intended to help cover lab monitors, lab supplies and the salaries of adjunct professors as a part of being in the architecture college, Shirk said.

“”For the undergrads, they are paying $300 per semester, or $600 a year, and for the graduate students, they are paying $500 a semester or $1,000 for the year,”” Shirk said. “”What was swept was the remaining amount of dollars at this point in time of the year.””

The administration realized it was not necessary to sweep up the college’s discretionary funds, but Cervelli said they wanted to ensure that the funds were being spent for teaching purposes.

“”I’m not sure if they are going to monitor any expenditures or not,”” Cervelli said. “”If you spend over $50,000, they are going to monitor it, but they are not going to monitor things below that amount.””

Much like the rest of the university, Cervelli said the college is suffering a budget crunch. During this time, she said it is essential to make sure to continue to put all available funds toward the students’ needs.

“”We’re being very prudent in our college,”” Cervelli said, “”making sure that our funds go to students and

covering classes.””