Arizona women’s basketball blows out Cal State Northridge by 40 points

Nathanial Stenchever

Kailyn Gilbert, a guard on the Arizona women’s basketball team, takes a free throw on Nov. 13, in McKale Center. The Wildcats would win their second game 87-47.

The Arizona women’s basketball team beat California State University Northridge 87-47 in McKale Center on Sunday, Nov. 13. 

California State came out ready to go, putting a few points on the board before Arizona was able to make a two-pointer. At the first media timeout of the game, the score was 10-4 Arizona. It took a second for the Arizona defense to wake up, but once they did the Matadors had a hard time scoring. 

Shaina Pellington, with a fabulous defensive play, took the ball from a CSUN player and then passed the ball to Jade Loville, who sunk a three with 5:30 left in the quarter. Lauren Fields’s impressive attack on CSUN’s basket finished with a nice layup in the final seconds of the first quarter. At the end of the first quarter, Arizona was winning 28-6, 12 of those points were off the bench, and 10 points were in the paint. 

In the second quarter, Arizona’s defense stepped up. With 4:48 left in the second quarter at the media break the score was 35-14 Wildcats. Arizona freshman Kailyn Gilbert, Maya Nnaji, and Lemyah Hylton put on a show at the beginning of the second quarter, frustrating CSUN’s defense. At halftime, the score was 45-17 Wildcats in the lead. In the second quarter, there were eight bench points and six points in the paint. 

Loville led the team in points, having eight at the half, with Gilbert and Esmery Martinez close behind with seven points each. 

Loville had a beautiful three-pointer to start the third quarter. At the media break with 5:43 left in the third quarter, Arizona was winning 56-21. Helena Pueyo, on a fast break straight up the middle, sank a layup with 2:20 left in the third quarter. The third quarter ended 70-31 in Arizona. Martinez put up eight points on her own. There were six points from the bench and 12 points in the paint. 

In the fourth quarter, the game got a little scrappy. Nnaji led the team in points in the fourth quarter with seven points. This was Nnaji’s debut on the court. 

“It was like a dream come true. I have worked my whole life for this. At the end of the day Arizona was my dream school, I see my future here,” Nnaji said. 

Arizona had 12 points from the bench and eight in the paint. 

“Maya had half of our blocked shots. I think she played really well. She is learning and getting better everyday in practice,” Barnes said. “She’s getting used to playing versatile positions for us.” 

“We have been improving. This is only our second game, I think we have shown improvement in both. We still have a lot to work on, but the future is bright,” Barnes said. 

This is Arizona’s second time beating CSUN in a row, continuing the Wildcats’ winning streak. Arizona’s next game is on Friday, Nov. 19 at 6:30 p.m. against LMU in McKale Center.

Follow Delaney Penn on Twitter