Arizona volleyball team handles Cal for the series sweep

Caitlin Claypool

Merle Weidt (13) attempts to set the ball over the net during a game on Sunday, March 14, 2021. The Wildcats were victorious over the Colorado Buffalo by winning three out of four games.

It was a picture-perfect weekend for the Arizona volleyball team as they swept Cal by set scores of 25-18, 26-24 and 25-23 on Sunday, March 21, at Haas Pavilion.

This brings the Wildcats’ record to 9-9, marking the first time Arizona has reached that threshold all year.

It was not an easy first set for the Wildcats. Cal would not allow Arizona to create any separation, keeping the score within one point midway through the set. Outside hitter Paige Whipple decided it was time to push back against the Golden Bears. Whipple had a kill that started a 5-0 run for the Wildcats. 

Cal tried pushing back, but then the Wildcats responded with a 6-0 run to push the lead to 15-9, a lead they would not relinquish. Whipple finished the set with five kills and an assist. Outside hitter Sofia Maldonado Diaz contributed with three kills and a serving ace. 

Early in the second set, it was difficult to determine which team had control. Both teams committed multiple serving and attack errors. Maldonado Diaz had four attack errors in the final stretch of the set, including the error that sent the set into extras. Maldonado Diaz made up for her mistakes, registering a kill and a serving ace that produced the two points that Arizona needed to escape the second set. 

RELATED: Arizona volleyball team sends the Golden Bears into hibernation

Even though the third set was close, Arizona managed to climb out to an 8-2 lead that gave them the cushion they needed. Middle blocker Merle Weidt singlehandedly took over the third set for the Wildcats. Weidt was all over the place, finishing the set with eight kills. Maldonado Diaz also helped with five kills and two serving aces. 

Though the Wildcats dominated the three sets, Cal finished the match leading in kills, hitting percentage, attacks, digs and individual points. It is a good thing that stats do not win a match, points do. 

Arizona will head back home to McKale Center to face USC on Friday, March 26, at 6 p.m. MST. 

Follow Sean Fagan on Twitter