Quick Hits

Engineering students to showcase design projects

Engineering students will present their yearlong design projects today during Engineering Design Day.

Engineering Design Day is the annual celebration of “”technical excellence and creativity delivered by engineers in response to real problems,”” according to the College of Engineering Web site.

More than 60 design teams of engineering seniors will present their capstone projects to engineering professionals from the industry. In addition to receiving scores from the judges, the teams will vie for awards.

Teams of first-year engineering students will also compete in an impromptu design challenge at noon.

The competition will be in the Grand Ballroom of the Student Union Memorial Center. Team registration begins at 9 a.m., and events continue until the award ceremony, which begins at 4 p.m. The events are open to the public and are free of charge.

Visit http://www.engr.arizona.edu/designday for more information and to view photos from last year.

Student poetry readings held this week

The UA Poetry Center and the creative writing department will have the 2006 MFA Creative Writing Graduate Student Readings this week.

The events will start tomorrow at 8 p.m. and Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Modern Languages building.

This year’s graduating MFA poetry, fiction and nonfiction class will read from their work at these collective events.

The events are free and open to the public. Public parking is available at the Second Street Parking Garage. An informal reception will follow the events.

Learning Technologies Showcase Thursday

The campus and external communities are invited to participate in the 11th annual Learning Technologies Showcase Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to noon in the Manuel T. Pacheco Integrated Learning Center.

This year’s showcase focuses on emerging technologies and is sponsored by Gateway Computers.

Paul Hagner, associate program director of the Educause Learning Initiative, will present the keynote address on emerging technologies and mobile learning.

Presentations from showcased projects will be exhibited and participants at the event can informally discuss the various projects with presenters and interact with others interested in learning technologies.