Rec Center ranked No. 17 by Best College Reviews

%09Mark+armao%2Farizona+Daily+Wildcat+%0A%0A%09Maggie+Bliss%2C+an+environmental+sciences+freshman%2C+works+out+at+the+Student+Recreation+Center.+

Mark armao/arizona Daily Wildcat

Maggie Bliss, an environmental sciences freshman, works out at the Student Recreation Center.

A popular college review website recently ranked the UA’s Student Recreation Center in the top 25 in the nation.

The “25 Most Amazing Student Recreation Centers,” list was released by Best College Reviews. Taking into account factors like recreational programming and architecture, the reviewers tried to look at more than “just the one building that might be labeled the student rec center,” according to the article.

The UA facility was ranked No. 17 while the complex at the University of Cincinnati took the top spot.

Among its many amenities, the Rec Center boasts a 30,000 square foot weight room, five basketball courts and an Olympic-sized swimming pool. Available to any student enrolled at the UA, since the fee is included in tuition charges, the Rec Center offers numerous strength training and cardio fitness options.

Ryan Noonan, a weight room monitor and political science junior, said he’s not surprised about the top 25 ranking because of what the Rec Center has to offer.

“It’s really nice,” Noonan said. “We have tons of machines for beginning to average weightlifters, plenty of dumbbells for your typical bodybuilder and for the more athletic crowd we have Olympic weightlifting stuff in the back.”

However, if the UA community isn’t interested in pumping iron, the Rec Center has a vast array of state-of-the-art treadmills, ellipticals and bikes for cardiovascular exercise. The Rec Center also offers a number of fitness classes and recreational programs.

“I knew we had a nice facility, and having seen a dozen or two dozen facilities throughout the country, I knew we should be on the list and it was exciting to be validated and put in the list,” said John Lloyd, associate director for campus recreation facilities and services. “The breadth of what we offer is so diverse and so expansive that not a lot of rec centers are able to provide what we can provide to students.”

The Outdoor Adventures program, is a component of the Rec Center that offers classes on climbing, biking and kayaking, as well as hosting trips to various outdoor destinations in the Southwest.

“There’s a lot you can do here,” said Maggie Bliss, an environmental science freshman. “I like how it’s open late so I know I can always come. It’s great.”