Lemmon’s cookies worth the trek

There’s nothing special about cookies and pizza — unless of course you’re at the Mt. Lemmon Cookie Cabin.

A little over an hour away, the Cookie Cabin is located in Summerhaven, Ariz. With fall still a no-show, the trek up to Mount Lemmon is well worth it.

Summerhaven itself is a small collection of log cabins speckling the mountains. The village boasts a general store, quirky gift shop, a community center and the Cookie Cabin.

Nestled on the side of the road and surrounded by pine trees, the Cookie Cabin is immediately inviting. The place has a strong mom-and-pop feel, complete with front porch and rocking chairs.

The tiny dining room with its grand fireplace feels more like a cozy kitchen than a restaurant, and the staff is chatty and cheerful — like your aunt or uncle once removed.

The charm extends to the menu with its simple selection of pizza or chili. For dessert: Plate-sized cookies, root beer floats or ice cream with a generous amount of toppings.

Sue Hartley, visiting from Boise, Idaho, was impressed by the root beer floats.

“”They’re huge!”” Hartley said.

The large glasses are so stuffed with vanilla ice cream, there’s no room for the root beer that comes in a bottle on the side.

The trend of excessively large desserts continues across the menu, so splitting with a friend wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Not only will it keep you from unnecessary nausea on the windy car ride back to Tucson, but it will also save a penny or two.

For all of its family feel and home-baked cookies, the Cookie Cabin is a bit pricey for a college student. A giant cookie is $5 and if you want ice cream on that cookie, be willing to cough up an additional $4. If you’re looking for a real meal, $24 gets you a 16-inch pizza with your choice of toppings.

John Feather, a junior majoring in political science and Middle Eastern studies, said he comes to the Cookie Cabin frequently.

“”There’s really good food,”” Feather said. “”I always get the chocolate chip cookie and pizza.””

Beyond the food, the Cookie Cabin is very much about the atmosphere.

“”It’s just nice to be in nature,”” Feather said. “”I like getting away from the city, heat and towns.””

This escape from the city hasn’t always been there. In 2003, the then-named Cabins and Cookies restaurant was devastated by the Aspen Fire. The fire destroyed the log cabin, which eventually reopened in 2005.

The Cookie Cabin is thriving once more, and the restaurant and surrounding Summerhaven offer a retreat from the cacti and palm trees of Tucson.

Make a day of it. Stop on the way up to take in the breathtaking vistas, explore the other shops, and if you’re feeling particularly adventurous, go hiking.

Whatever you do, be sure to indulge yourself at the Cookie Cabin; It’s a sweet escape.