“‘Democracy Now’ host decries war, ‘oiligarchy’ controlling U.S. policy”

The U.S. is being run by an oiligarchy and is in dire need of new leadership, said Amy Goodman, host of “”Democracy Now,”” at the Rialto Theatre Friday evening.

Goodman celebrated the 10th anniversary of the independent radio and TV news program and the release of her new book with Tucsonans in the sold-out theater.

She spoke about New York Gov. George Pataki’s desire to bring a piece of Saddam Hussein’s statue back to New York and imbed it in the foundation of the new World Trade Center buildings.

“”It would be the first real link for the war in Iraq and America,”” Goodman said.

Goodman also praised war activists Cindy Sheehan and Minnesota State Sen. Becky Lowry, whose sons died in the war in Iraq.

“”That is the worst thing a mother can endure,”” said Carrie Freedheim, a mother who attended the event. “”Beware of mothers who have lost their children, they really have nothing left to lose.””

Goodman recalled Lowry posing the question: “”With our children dying in Iraq, who will be our future leaders?””

Goodman said she believes that people like Sheehan and Lowry are the future leaders of this country, which is in dire need of new leadership.

“”What we have now in Washington is the oiligarchy,”” Goodman said in reference to oligarchy, a form of government in which all power is vested in a few people from the dominant class.

Goodman said President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney, Chief of Staff Karl Rove and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice all have close ties to the oil industry.

Goodman said she recently asked Aaron Brown, former host of CNN’s “”NewsNight,”” why no pictures of the dead and dying children and women in Iraq were shown on TV. Brown replied that they were tasteless.

“”I think it is war that is tasteless,”” Goodman said.

Goodman pointed out that pictures, such as the little girl burning with napalm in Vietnam, are precisely the kind of powerful images that can help bring an end to a war.

“”Could you imagine if for one week we saw dead children and mothers with their limbs blown off on TV, what kind of impact would that have on Americans?”” Goodman asked.

Singer Mat Kearney performed at Rialto Theatre Thursday night but stayed in Tucson another night to see Goodman.

“”The message of free speech is being taken for granted, and people just believe what they are told on TV,”” Kearney said.

The event was part of a national tour to raise funds for independent media all over the country, Goodman said.

Goodman said the tour began in Cape Cod, Mass., but had a rocky start.

The only way to get to her destination in Cape Cod was by boat, but stormy weather kept all boats in dock and Goodman, along with her brother and investigative reporter Dan Goodman, were on the verge of canceling the show.

But she was told that there was always one boat that would make the trip through rain or shine; the newspaper boat.

“”We jumped on to this dingy boat and that’s how we kicked off the tour,”” Goodman said.

All of the issues Goodman discussed at the event are covered in Dan and Amy Goodman’s new book, “”STATIC: Government Liars, Media Cheerleaders and the People Who Fight Back.””