In case you missed it: Our top five news stories of the week

Lili+Steffen+%2F+Arizona+Daily+Wildcat%0A%0AASUA+President+Morgan+Abraham+presents+to+the+ASUA+senate+meeting%2C+on+Oct.+2.+
Lili Steffen
Lili Steffen / Arizona Daily Wildcat ASUA President Morgan Abraham presents to the ASUA senate meeting, on Oct. 2.

A quick look at the Daily Wildcat’s top five stories published this week.

1. ASUA president defends recent debates against organization

– By Brittny Mejia

ASUA President Morgan Abraham said he is concerned that recent discussions over how well ASUA represents graduate students have resulted in misunderstandings about the organization.

“My whole frustration with the process is how ASUA is being portrayed,” Abraham said. “There’s definitely been some portraying of ASUA as all undergrads and that we’re trying to prevent GPSC from doing what they want to do.”

2. Dear U.S. Government: a message from student leaders

– By Stephanie Casanova

Arizona student leaders are reaching out to government officials and the public to express their concern over the government shutdown and its effect on students.

With the help of student leaders in Arizona and across the United States, Anthony Hessel a graduate student at Northern Arizona University and, vice chair of external affairs for Arizona Students’ Association, a statewide student lobbying group, drafted an open letter.

“That lapse of federal funding, that shutdown of these programs kind of devalues the education of the student and devalues the ability of a student later on,” Hessel said. “We just want to make clear that education is being affected and it’s not just a few people.”

3. It’s not this UA club’s first rodeo
UA Rodeo Club celebrates 75 years on campus

– By Gabrielle Fernety

For Ben Saylor, an animal sciences junior, Rodeo Club is more than just a hobby.

Rodeo is where it all began, and the UA club has the duty of reminding the community about its roots, Saylor, the club’s president, said.

“I don’t want people to forget where we came from,” Saylor said. “I just feel like rodeo stems from the cattle industry and agriculture. I feel like I’m a part of something greater.”

4. ABOR pushing for financial aid program, more funding from state

– By Stephanie Casanova

The Arizona Board of Regents is pushing for a statewide financial aid program in order for taxpayers to share the responsibility of education costs.

The board recently recommended to the state legislature to add $12.6 million in financial aid to its 2014 budget in the spring. The request is part of an effort to have a program through which students would receive financial aid directly from the state, said Rick Myers, chair of the board.

“Universities are a public good,” Myers said, “and our people who are being educated here benefit everyone.”

5. New student club to focus on lobbying

– By Stephanie Casanova

Two UA students are teaming up and starting a club to lobby on issues that affect the university and students.

Scott Jauch, a chemical engineering sophomore, heard of AdvoCATS at a networking event last spring. In the program, UA alumni work with the UA Office of State Relations to advocate for the university.

With the help of Ahva Sadeghi, a philosophy, politics, economics and law junior, Jauch started the club this semester hoping to raise awareness about legislation and teach students how they can make a difference in the outcome of legislative decisions.

“We just want it to be strictly focused on education,” Sadeghi said, “and for everyone to have a bottom line that we all think that education is a solution and we need to lobby for more funding for education.”

For more top stories, follow us @dailywildcat or like us on Facebook.