ASUA plans for future collaborations and outreach with the student body (Notebook 10/3/18)

Marisa Favero
The members of ASUA come together on Wednesday, Sep. 13, 2017 in the Pima conference room at the Student Union to have their weekly meeting.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona, UA’s student governing body, dedicated their Oct. 3rd meeting in the Pima Room of the Student Union Memorial Center to the discussion of upcoming events and ongoing club details. 

Engaging students in upcoming events

Brennen Feder, senator for College of Education, emphasized the need for each senator in ASUA to reach out to their designated college. According to Feder, students should know their senators. 

“I want students to know how they themselves can get involved in ASUA”, said Feder. 

In the vein of promoting ASUA involvement in campus activities, Bennet Adamson, senator for Social and Behavioral Sciences, said his college plans to begin hosting their annual downtown lecture series and encouraged senators to attend. 

The lectures of the series will take place on Oct. 4, 11, 18 and 25 in the Fox Tucson Theatre, and are dedicated to the connecting music, communication, culture, place, and personal identity. 

Tara Singleton, an at-large senator, is trying to gain student feedback on campus. She wants to create a whiteboard sign molded after the chalkboard that reads “before I die I want to … “ that’s found on University Boulevard near the CVS. 

RELATED: ASUA holds a voter registration drive, plans for Family Weekend (Notebook 9/27/18)

Singleton imagines students will be able to freely write down their ideas for ASUA to consider. 

Beyond staying involved in campus activities and reaching out to the student body, ASUA senators also updated the Senate on ongoing projects within the administration. Kelly Dorney, an at-large senator, updated the Senate on the process of the new Honors Village student dorms. 

“The honors college started accepting applications for the Honors Dorm as of Oct. 1,” Dorney said.

Club Collaboration 

Katie Christopher, College of Agriculture and Life Science Senator, worked with Campus Closet last week to develop a new logo and email to expand the organization’s presence on campus. She is working on gathering more clothing donations and a larger budget to be able to serve more students in need. 

RELATED: ASUA Votes on Election Dates, Supreme Court Nominees (Notebook 9/19)

Noah Huang, senator for the College of Fine Arts, set out to find a productive way to use some of ASUA’s money to provide opportunities for students that are not just interested in sports. Haung wants to funnel a part of athletic fees to be used for arts-related activates. 

The Senate also approved the distribution of over $13,000 to support campus clubs awarded by ASUA’s Appropriations Board at their last meeting. Some of this money will be used to help UA’s Ballroom Dance Club reserve space to practice and an a cappella group to participate in an annual competition. 

ASUA will meet again next Wednesday, Oct. 10 at 6 p.m. in the Pima Room of the SUMC. Check back to the Daily Wildcat to stay up to date on ASUA and its meetings.

Follow Gwen Spencer on Twitter